Skinner peep sight on a #1-S

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
I have years and years of experience destroying all types of screw heads (slotted, phillips, allen, etc) and don't wish to do it any more. So can someone tell me the secret to removing the two rear allen screws on the rib of my #1-S. Are they loctited or just really tight or what? I have cranked on them pretty good but no joy. No damage either yet so I thought I better ask here first before I went any further.

98Redline

Blackhawk
Most sight mount plug screws I have seen have all had a drop of loctite on the threads to keep them from backing out. I suspect yours are no different.

Couple of thoughts:
1) Use only a good quality allen wrench. Cheaper ones are often softer metal and/or not quite properly sized can round out the hex head in a hurry.
Personal preference is Wiha

2) A little heat may help with breaking the loctite bond. Take one of your less expensive hex keys, put it in the head and hit it with a torch. It should heat the key and ultimately screw enough to break the bond and make it easier to get out. Discard the heated hex key when you are done heating as you probably killed the temper on the metal and made it soft as butter.

BTW: You are going to love that Skinner sight. Andy builds a great product and is a heck of a nice guy to boot.

Latest posts