Trigger kick

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have several new model Blackhawks and when firing a couple of them the trigger "kicks" forward. Actually hard enough to feel it after a few rounds. Other new models do not do this and none of my old models do. Suggestions? Transfer bar issue? Hammer/trigger contact issue?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
If the nose on the top face of the hammer is clipping the top edge of the transfer bar
It will cause the trigger to kick back. Due to stacking dimensions of trigger,transfer bar,frame etc. the transfer bar may be rising up too far and being cliped by the hammer nose. I would check by blackening the top edge of the transfer bar and the hammer nose with a felt marker,dry fire and check for marks. The transfer bar can be shortened a smidge if that is the problem. My best guess ???

Or hold the trigger all the way back and slowly lower the hammer with your thumb. Do you feel any catches? Or does the hammer go all the way home smoothly and the firing pin protrude from the breech face as normal?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
When a hammer is replaced, these checks should be done:
http://www.cylindersmith.com/Transferbar.html

Great suggestions by Chuck.

But if the transfer bar is contacting the upper nose of the hammer, I would relieve the nose at its bottom edge rather than shortening the T bar.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
When a hammer is replaced, these checks should be done:
http://www.cylindersmith.com/Transferbar.html

Great suggestions by Chuck.

But if the transfer bar is contacting the upper nose of the hammer, I would relieve the nose at its bottom edge rather than shortening the T bar.

So far this is all a guess on my part and modifications to either the hammer or the transfer bar would solve the problem if that is the problem. As long as the transfer bar is comming up enough to make full contact with the rear of the firing pin, any meat above that is redundant and just likely to foul the hammer nose.