Questions: RSA NM Grip Frame on OM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RatCat454

Single-Sixer
Does anyone offer the adapter block that retains the OM trigger return spring to use a NM grip frame on an OM gun? Yes, looks simple to make but many clever fabricators favor this forum with neatly machined products. Also aware of the technique to epoxy an empty rimfire shell casing.

Can an OM full sized hammer be shortened to fit an OM Single Six? Looks like it should work with just a tad of metal removal at the top.

Source for Bisley style trigger for OM? See that Power Custom has OM Bisley style hammers.

Thanks!

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I recently bought a brass grip frame that fits both OM and NM Blackhawks. It has this adapter. Held in place by pin that holds trigger return spring (NM). Fits and works great. One idea is to have a machine shop make it. Small job for a machinist. I can send you a picture and dimensions, if you want.

RatCat454

Single-Sixer
What brand of grip frame? Only one of which I am aware that is currently offered is Power Custom? It would make sense to design as a NM frame and then use a spacer for OM applications.

If it is Power Custom, how is the length of the back strap? Will it be a four finger gun instead of the three finger XR3?

Was hoping that one of the forum machinist would do a batch much like the front sight group offering.

contender

Ruger Guru
I just make my own adapters when I need any. They are NOT hard to make,, and if making one,, why not make a few extra??? I did!

As for the hammers,, laying the Single-Six one on top of the Blackhawk one,,, where the rounded portion is aligned,, and the holes are,, will answer your question. But,, if you desire a shorter hammer,, why not use the Single Six one? What's the purpose here?

Enigma

Hunter
Power Custom offers a grip frame for both the old and new model Rugers, although it isn't necessarily easy to locate them on their website.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I called Power Custom. They have brass grip frames both OM & NM Blackhawks. But, these are the Colt sized frames. The man I spoke with said grips are different than XR3 grips. $249.00. Has anyone seen these?

RatCat454

Single-Sixer
contender said:
I just make my own adapters when I need any. They are NOT hard to make,, and if making one,, why not make a few extra??? I did!

As for the hammers,, laying the Single-Six one on top of the Blackhawk one,,, where the rounded portion is aligned,, and the holes are,, will answer your question. But,, if you desire a shorter hammer,, why not use the Single Six one? What's the purpose here?

Three OMs from my youth have returned after 50 plus years, a BH/OM .30 carbine, BH/OM .357 and an OM Single Six. I am quite acquainted with NM but have little time with the OMs. Would like to eliminate the aluminum, longer grip than the XR3, maybe a Bisley style hammer and trigger.

RatCat454

Single-Sixer
Enigma said:
Power Custom offers a grip frame for both the old and new model Rugers, although it isn't necessarily easy to locate them on their website.

At one time, PC offered a common front strap with additional back straps, like Colt, Bisley, Birdhead etc. Don't know what is offered now but see PC Colt for RSA OM and NM at MidwayUSA and Brownells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GbJATvpG8E

RatCat454

Single-Sixer
daveg.inkc said:
I called Power Custom. They have brass grip frames both OM & NM Blackhawks. But, these are the Colt sized frames. The man I spoke with said grips are different than XR3 grips. $249.00. Has anyone seen these?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1500196683/power-custom-old-model-grip-frame-ruger-single-action

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...tyle-grip-frame-ruger-new-model-single-action

Brownells has 'em as well. Looks like each is dedicated to OM or NM, no adapter block.

RatCat454

Single-Sixer
daveg.inkc said:
I recently bought a brass grip frame that fits both OM and NM Blackhawks. It has this adapter. Held in place by pin that holds trigger return spring (NM). Fits and works great. One idea is to have a machine shop make it. Small job for a machinist. I can send you a picture and dimensions, if you want.

Send or post pictures and dimensions, please. Probably post here so others may benefit as well.