How do I hold continuous taper barrel in lathe chuck?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wobbly34b

Bearcat
Have 11-48 Rem. 12 gauge barrel with a Sears compensator and a poly choke.
I would like to rotate in the lathe and check concentricity of the choke to the barrel.
In otherwords it does not shoot to point of aim. It is off about 15" at 25 yds.
Any help appreciated.

Bob

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes a steady rest is a must.

I often turn a couple of short brass mandrels, one mounted in chuck that lightly press fits into the chamber. And in the muzzle that ride in a live center at the tail. That way you know that your dial indicator is running off the bore concentricity, not the outside of the barrel.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
wobbly34b said:
Have 11-48 Rem. 12 gauge barrel "with a Sears compensator and a poly choke."
I would like to rotate in the lathe and check concentricity of the choke to the barrel.
In otherwords it does not shoot to point of aim. It is off about 15" at 25 yds.
Any help appreciated.

Bob

That's quite a bit! If I had a customer that brought me something like that, described as you have above, I'd recommend the "poly-choke" and the compensator be cut off. A mis-match such as that would be awful hard to correct otherwise. You will then most likely have no choke left in the barrel, but depending on what you're shooting at, it may not matter.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Years ago, I needed a shotgun for a last day of season turkey hunt. My brother handed me a Remington Model 11, with poly-choke. I trusted him when he said it shot good. 6:30 AM next morning, I called a gobbler off his roost to land 25 yards in front on me. I shot and he flew off. I went to truck and set up a target, only to find it was way off!! In the 60's, the term "Poly-Choke" was heard often. On paper, it's a good idea. Until you put it on paper.

wobbly34b

Bearcat
I did not know about poly-chokes when I bought this gun, like Dave said it sounded like a good idea until I shot it on paper.
My local gun smith told me it would probably be cheaper to buy another barrel so that is what I have done. Found one on e-bay, it should be here Friday orMonday. I'll have a little more in the old gun than I wanted to but, oh well, that's the way it goes.
Thank you for the in put. I feel like I usually get some good answers on this forum.

Bob

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I liked that old shotgun. Looked like a Browning Auto 5. I will never forget that morning. I was using an Ike Ashby slate call,, bird flew right to me. My 870 Express never failed me.