Flat-topping a Security Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Odessaman

Bearcat
Has anyone ever seen a "flat topped" Security Six? I have one that the previous owner converted to a round butt. Not a bad job to begin with, but after I took down a couple of high spots and polished out some file marks, it actually looks pretty decent, and feels great in the hand, even without the Trausch grips that came on it (hence the reason, I suspect, for the original butt chop.)

Since the gun has already been modified, and has some bluing wear with light freckling in spots, I'm considering using this one for a custom project. My concept involves milling off the ears on the top strap and installing a fixed or semi-fixed rear sight, such as a Bowen Rough Country. I also have a 2.75" heavy profile Speed Six barrel that I've been saving for a project like this.

If I do rework the frame as described above, will I decrease the rear sight elevation enough to regulate the sights to the shorter Speed Six barrel (understanding that I may need to install a slightly higher front sight)?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That's a good question, you have so many variables.

But since you're willing to change front sights, that should allow you to adjust the front sight height for all the variables.

Will removing the ears cut into the retaining pin hole? Sometimes it does on early versions of that gun.

Once you remove the ears, of course the sight trough will remain. Does the Bowen fixed/semi-fixed sight fill the trough? Does it also use the Ruger rear sight cross pin to retain it?

Odessaman

Bearcat
Bowen makes a Rough Country sight specifically for flat top Blackhawks. I have a flat top NM Blackhawk that I can borrow the sight from and see if & how it fits the Security Six. That should tell me how the Bowen would fit. There's plenty of clearance for the retaining pin hole after the ears are removed - question is then whether the spacing of the elevation/mounting screw hole and the retaining pin hole is the same on Blackhawks and -Six series frames. I'll measure that tonight.

Rather than the Bowen, my first choice would have been a sight I think was made by Gemini Customs, but I don't find it on their website. Very similar the D&L Sports fixed rear sight for single action Rugers, but with a longer mounting rib that could be cut down to fit the sight trough exactly.

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
I have a Redhawk that Huntington semi-flattopped. The pin hole is retained, the sight still protected without sticking out above the frame ears, and it has 90% the lines of a true flat top.

If you're doing it anyway, no harm in taking it down 50% then 75% and seeing how you like it along the way.

Odessaman

Bearcat
any ruger said:
Post is useless without pics

LOL - I knew that was coming.

OK, here are some pictures that served as the inspiration:

th

Manurhin_SPECIAL_POLICE_F1_357_Magnum_1480599395-2.jpg

This is the Bowen Flat Top sight:

FlatTop_HD_rear_sight.jpg

Here another type of sight I'm considering - this one's from Cylinder & Slide (I think it's made by D&L Sports), and not for Ruger, but I wouldn't mind something similar:

pic-2008-09-09-revolver-large.jpg

And here's what I'm starting with:

y3tmqORg.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
First, you need to put a straight edge on the top flat and determine if cutting off the sight ribs flat to the front area will cut into the sight retaining pin hole. If so, it's a more complicated project.

Second, any sight you use (fixed notch or adjustable) will need to have the same shape front tang as the Ruger sight to fill the milled out shape in the top strap.

Third, if you want a sight like the D&L Sporst, you'll need the flat top milled area extended for the longer sight tang.