Super Blackhawk hammers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I just got an email notification from Midway that they have received a shipment of the aforementioned hammers, for those who have wanted one.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I bought a pair of them a couple years back intending to install them in my CAS shooters but never got around to it. I still plan to though. Thanks for the reminder !

Johnnu2

Hunter
Will these SBH hammers fit in New Model Bisley Blackhawks (assume large frame only)...???

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Sure they will. There will be an extra large gap in the hammer slot behind the hammer, because the Super BH hammer doesn't have the large base like the Bisley hammer. But that's only cosmetic.

If that's a concern, you could graft and Tig weld a SBH hammer top to a Bisley hammer base.

Super BH hammers also fit fine in the medium frames as well. Bisley grip frames are all the same size from the .22 to Large frame BHs.

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
I have one of Lipsey's Flat Top Blackhawks that I want to do this on, but I'm having a problem. I can't get the trigger pin out!

I may not be a gunsmith, but I am a mechanic; and I can understand that you push in on the gate spring to get it out of the groove in the trigger pin and push the trigger pin out. Only, it doesn't work! Even with tapping on a brass punch.

I don't really think I should need a gunsmith to accomplish this simple swap, but, if someone can't tell me what trick I'm missing, that's my only recourse. Can anyone help me? Please!

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
Yeah. Hammer pin practically falls out! Tried to sneak the hammer out past the trigger, but the pawl needs to drop straight down out of it's slot and the trigger is in the way.

I've followed the videos that are posted on YouTube, but no-one on there seems to have had the same problem that I have. A couple did need a gentle tap to get started, but mine seems to need more than that. I'm seriously concerned about doing damage if I tap it too hard!

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
Ordered one, thank you. Hope it fits a New Vaquero. If it doesn't, I have four or five others I can put it in.

z1r

Single-Sixer
Dave Schwaab said:
I have one of Lipsey's Flat Top Blackhawks that I want to do this on, but I'm having a problem. I can't get the trigger pin out!

I may not be a gunsmith, but I am a mechanic; and I can understand that you push in on the gate spring to get it out of the groove in the trigger pin and push the trigger pin out. Only, it doesn't work! Even with tapping on a brass punch.

I don't really think I should need a gunsmith to accomplish this simple swap, but, if someone can't tell me what trick I'm missing, that's my only recourse. Can anyone help me? Please!

try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfOXBa8K8Ow

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
z1r said:
Dave Schwaab said:

try this:

Thanks, z1r. That was the answer!

I originally got the idea for doing this in the Vaquero Hammer Swap video from TheYankeeMarshal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDckjKpi-eQ), but I didn't just rush into it. I did some research into Ruger hammers online and watched several disassembly videos. Unfortunately, I skipped over that one because I didn't think it went that far into the disassembly.

There was a subtle difference in the way the Ruger tech depressed the gate spring than in all the other videos I did watch. That little difference was the trick I missed!

z1r

Single-Sixer
Dave Schwaab said:
z1r said:
Dave Schwaab said:

try this:

Thanks, z1r. That was the answer!

I originally got the idea for doing this in the Vaquero Hammer Swap video from TheYankeeMarshal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDckjKpi-eQ), but I didn't just rush into it. I did some research into Ruger hammers online and watched several disassembly videos. Unfortunately, I skipped over that one because I didn't think it went that far into the disassembly.

There was a subtle difference in the way the Ruger tech depressed the gate spring than in all the other videos I did watch. That little difference was the trick I missed!

Glad that helped. I just got a pair of Vaquero's. Also have a pair of SBH Hammers on their way. I'm getting back into CAS and hear the SBH hammers may be a tad more user friendly when shooting one handed. We will see.

Oh, by the way, it never happened without pics! :D

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
My hands are on the small side (good for a mechanic working in the confines of a modern engine bay), which is why I wanted to do this swap. The spur on Super Blackhawk hammers is lower and wider, making it easier to reach and manipulate than the standard Blackhawk and Vaquero hammers, with their tall, thin spurs.

other-stuff-3282-picture44576-ftbh-rs.jpg

other-stuff-3282-picture44578-ftbh-ls.jpg

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
BTW, the red anodized rims you see in the pics are the snap caps I use for dry fire practice. (Just so "some people" don't get all excited.)

z1r

Single-Sixer
Looking good. I have a SS Flat top 44 spl that will be getting a Bisley hammer added when I get some time.

Like those grips! The Factory rips on my Flat top suck!

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
z1r said:
Looking good. I have a SS Flat top 44 spl that will be getting a Bisley hammer added when I get some time.

Like those grips! The Factory rips on my Flat top suck!

You Know you'll have to remove some metal from the back of the Bisley hammer? That's not necessary with the Super Blackhawk.

Hammer1.jpg

See this page: http://forum.sixshootercommunity.com/index.php?mode=thread&id=1776

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
Here's an even better page to check:
http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2011/09/new-hammer-for-new-ruger-flat-tops.html

Some of the stuff I found in my own research before making the swap.

z1r

Single-Sixer
Dave, yes, but I will get the lower spur that I want. That's why I said, "when I get some time." The SBH of course being pretty much drop in.

Thanks.

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
No problem. The Bisley hammer is not quite as wide as the SBH, but it is a little lower; and the work isn't really that hard either, just a little time-consuming. The Bisley is also a little more distinctive.

Good luck with the mod. Can't wait to see it when you're done.

z1r

Single-Sixer
Thanks Dave. My biggest issue on this revolver is gonna be the grips. I really like the black plastic grips, but the ones on this frame are the worst fit I've ever seen. Still haven't decided what route to go. Something that looks good with Stainless.

I'm rebarreling my Vaquero at the moment, so it'll be a while before I get around to fitting the Bisley hammer.