Ruger nm blackhawk build

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mwhite49

Bearcat
I purchased this 357 with the intention of turning it into a 45 Colt. My other favorite caliber.
I was surprised that it even fired with all the junk around the firing pin. I'm shaving the ears off and almost done with 5hat. Still lots of work left on the frame preparation.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1mxp8liuy/

mwhite49

Bearcat
While working on dressing up the recoil shields and removing the bluing I discovered that the blue finish Ruger uses is not an ordinary firearms finish. That stuff is thick and hides a lot of tool marks.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes, those old models left a lot to be desired in finishing around the recoil shields and hammer bases.

You may want to consider the current all steel rear sight for your new flat top.

Here's my first flat topped OM, a Super single six:

orig.jpg

To match my OM flat top 357 which is now a 44 Spl:

orig.jpg

I was lucky enough to find a flat front steel Micro sight for it that Ruger used for a couple of years starting about 1963 on SBHs and 357s:

op2LCAw.jpg

1967 vintage Super Single Six made into a flat top, with .224" barrel cut to 4 1/8", and steel NM XR3 size grip frame:
orig.jpg

mwhite49

Bearcat
Almost that look. It would be cheaper to use something like the Bowen rough country version. Plus that's adjustable. I will be able to shoot higher velocity loads in the Ruger. I have only shot my flat top once. And cleaned it up and put it away. Bowens rear sights are nice. Still a lot of decisions to make.
I know so far the kieth # 5 grip frame with steel top strap, brass trigger gaurd, and a powers custom bisley hammer and trigger, belt my. Base pin. I may use Fermins front sight, or a target bisley, but I really want a banded ramp with replaceable blades.