Easiest way to remove front sight without damaging bluing Bl

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
Well i find myself needing to change the front sight on a very early blackhawk barrel...i have been told by a few people that there is a way to do this without damaging the bluing...the way i was always told was to heat so high it damages the finish and barrel will need to be reblued...i have been told freezing will help break the silver solder....Any help will so be appreciated...God Bless,John

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Silver solder melts @1100 F and up. I have used silver solder many times in the Tool and Die trade. Yes, it will damage the blue job. I have never heard of freezing it to remove. I have a NM .41 Blackhawk that front sight came off while shooting 17 grs AA#9. There was rust under sight where solder should have been. It was a poor soldering job.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Liquid nitrogen's boiling point -320 F. It's used to shrink fit parts. You may put muzzle in a container of it to contract and shrink enough to break the solder. But ,I doubt it. At least, not heard of it.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Change the front sight without damaging the blueing?
I'm no gunsmith but what about grinding it off and installing a new one with a base that screws into the barrel?

woodsy

Blackhawk
Silver BRAZE melts at the higher temp. Silver-bearing SOLDER melts much lower, about 450-600 degrees. So find out if it was soldered or brazed, first. The lower temp may or may not affect the bluing. I truly doubt that Ruger brazed any sights in place, ever.

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
well the front sight is damaged...someone ground off part of it long before my time...i have a perfect front sight i can use to replace it...the freezing idea came from a gunshop...they might be just talking out their butts too...thank u all for the info...i was thinking there is not any way to do this...God Bless,John
was kinda hoping it might work...

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ruger does silver braze their sights. daveg.inkc's idea to send back to Ruger may be the best answer. However, they may just stick in a new barrel which won't match the rollmarks on your "very early" barrel. It'll have the warning billboard on the bottom of barrel.
If they commit to resodering a new sight on your barrel, no problem.

And if you can't get a free shipping label from them, it's costly to send! The cheapest way is thru your gunshop. They can ship for about $35 UPS. It'll cost about $90 because you must ship US mail overnite.

If your sight base is OK, you have can have just the blade replaced. Have base milled with a slot (like Ruger's stainless guns) then pin in a blue blade that's free from Ruger.

Call this #(336) 949-5200

squint

Bearcat
Had one front sight removed and the bluing was definitely damaged by the heat. He might have used more heat than necessary but, I don't think so.

I agree with Hondo though. If the base is good, keep it and add a blade.

Another option (besides milling a slot) would be to grind the blade off and cut a dovetail in the base. If you are pretty handy, you can do it yourself. If you screw it up, well, ...you are no worse off than now.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
Ruger does silver braze their sights. daveg.inkc's idea to send back to Ruger may be the best answer. However, they may just stick in a new barrel which won't match the rollmarks on your "very early" barrel. It'll have the warning billboard on the bottom of barrel.
If they commit to resodering a new sight on your barrel, no problem.

And if you can't get a free shipping label from them, it's costly to send! The cheapest way is thru your gunshop. They can ship for about $35 UPS. It'll cost about $90 because you must ship US mail overnite.

If your sight base is OK, you have can have just the blade replaced. Have base milled with a slot (like Ruger's stainless guns) then pin in a blue blade that's free from Ruger.

Call this #(336) 949-5200
No, Ruger does NOT braze their sights. They DO solder them. One cannot mix the two terms (braze and solder) as the same process. They are quite different processes, requiring much different heat levels, and resulting in different effects. I once made surgical instruments for a living, and know the differences very well.