Q re: OM 30Carbine ejector rod

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
A friend has a 4 digit, OM .30Carbine Blackhawk. He broke the thumb piece on the ejector rod. He has been told by several shooting range cognoscenti that the .30Carbine rod is different from other OM Blackhawks; is this true??? If so, does anyone have one for sale that I can purchase for him? THANKS,
John

contender

Ruger Guru
The button on that era of OM Blackhawks are all round & flat faced. (Vs. dimpled older ones & the very early serrated ones.)
But the rods themselves have evolved over the years a bit. I THINK that era uses a solid rod, with a pointed tip. I'd have to check mine to be sure.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I think they're referring to the rod, not the thumbpiece.

The thumbpiece is round and flat as contender correctly posted above, but the rod is not round, it's flattened on one side to fit the small .30 cal chambers.

Call Ruger and they'll send you a free knob/rod assembly. Any part under $20 they'll send him for free. The current new model is the same as the old model but with a point on the end which is an improvement.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I just checked my OM .30Carbine and found the ejector rod has TWO flattened sides and one round side. Now, mine is an OM but has a prefix serial number: 50-07xxx; and may have been changed (?) (I bought it used many years ago). Appreciate any further info.
Thanks Hondo and Contender

yes, the old model 30 carbines did have the TWO angled flats with the curve as the this was needed to be able to "fit" ( enter) the much smaller diameter 30 carbine chamber without hitting the edge of the forward hole of the chamber,,,,,,,the 357 may have that or the single flat side, and then of course the much larger rods could be full round...like the 22 cal Single Sixes....evolution/change over the years.
Like Hondo notes the "newer" rods have the pointed end also.............

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks Rugerguy... I'll pass that info on to my friend....AND thanks to Hondo and Contender as well..... you guys always help out this old man.
J

contender

Ruger Guru
I told ya my memory wasn't clear,, but Hondo & Dan will keep it straight. I was just too lazy to go get mine & check them. :D

Johnnu2

Hunter
MANY, MANY THANKS to 45COLT_MAN (Dana) who not only provided the correct ejector rod, but declined payment or shipping cost reimbursement..... You just don't get better people than I've met on this Forum during my 15 yrs here. Earlier today I posted a need for a LilDandy rotor; got a PM from Old Coach pointing me to a guy on the 24hrcampfire forum.... bought it. The seller said he'd ship to me before receiving payment; I sent payment immediately just because. GUN PEOPLE ARE GOOD PEOPLE.... I thank you all......