1955-1962 Ruger Blackhawk front sight heights....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
well as some of you all know...we have now three of these beautiful old guns in the family...all in 44 mag and two 6.5" and one 7.5" barrel lengths and the most recent one is a very nice 1962 44 mag 6.5" with a very poorly installed scope mount on the barrel...once it came in...it was very evident that the barrel had holes drilled way too deep and they were all crooked and damaged the barrel past what i felt was safe to repair as the screws were way to deep ...thanks to a new friend...i have two barrels incoming and i have not yet decided what to do...but my question to u all is this...i am seriously thinking of making this one a 4 5/8" ...and i am also thru my own research realizing the front sight on the short barrel guns is much shorter and i am wondering if anyone here has shortened their 6.5" or 7.5" to the 4 5/8" and use the 1955-1962 front sight from the 357 Flat top to get the proper height?...i wonder if the sights themselves will work as i know the barrels must be different diameters...any help will so be appreciated...i am hoping someone on here might have a 4 5/8" 357 magnum 1955-1962 and the 1956-1962 44 magnum to compare...God Bless,John...

Hondo44

Hawkeye
1) Ruger sight heights vary by caliber as well as barrel length.

2) the shorter the barrel, the higher the front sight needs to be.

3) I have cut 44 Mag FT barrels to 4 5/8". The 6 1/2" original sight is usually easily within the adjustment range of the rear sight without having to screw the rear sight up so high it looks awkward and vulnerable to damage, or not go down far enough.

4) On-line front sight height calculator: http://www.anycalculator.com/gunsitecalculator.html