Bisley trigger in non-Bisley grip frame.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RatCat454

Single-Sixer
Bisley trigger in non-Bisley grip frame, anyone done this? Forum search was a "no joy".

Yes, the trigger opening will need to be enlarged at the front. My concern is will the trigger hit the back portion of the trigger guard? Might chop up a spare but damaged Bisley trigger for a trial install into a non-Bisley gun without requiring the enlarged trigger opening. Comparing appropriate guns, overlaying triggers for a visual look, seems to indicate will have sufficient clearance.

Kuhnhausen book hints at a "no", but doesn't really specify details.

G2

Hunter
I once did this, my thinking was I wanted the curvier trigger. I did not open up the grip frame, I opted for lopping off the portion that would fill the gap in the bisley grip frame. It does provide a little extra room. As for the back of the trigger / trigger guard, no interference. The bisley triggerwasever so slightly longer, ( ever so slightly) I just trimmed to fit.

This is a consecutive sn# pair, top one done with modifications, bottom as stock.
45Colt
413816051.jpg

I now prefer to slim up the standard trigger, "knife blade", take out the upper back area (like the bisley).
327M
413575956.jpg

22/22M
413734543.jpg

RatCat454

Single-Sixer
Nicely done!

Thanks for the pics and info!

My intentions exactly. Will most likely do both the trimming as you have done...and open up the trigger opening for a full Bisley trigger.

Already have Bisley hammers installed as well as a couple of RSAs with the Ron Power Bisley half cock kits. I am working with dragoon and hunter grip frames on Single Six, and Blackhawks 357, 45.

For me, if shooting more than a few rounds, the standard trigger opening wears away at my finger tip edge. Breaking the sharp edge does help but the full Bisley is best.

Initial look, thought the trigger length would need to be trimmed.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I've been using Bisley triggers in standard grip frames for several years. As G2 posted above, they work fine and the only interference is length on some that just need a bit of trimming at the tip.

#6. BISLEY TRIGGER INSTALLATION FOR PLOW HANDLE OR BIRDSHEAD GRIP FRAME:

Though I don't trim the front of the trigger. The slot in the grip frame must be extended a maximum of 5/16" and the 45 degree angle at the front of the slot replicated to install the Bisley trigger in a plow handle or birdshead GF. The best way to do this is with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool.

Recently I've shortened the slot from 5/16" to less because the further back the trigger will sit when at rest. As long as the trigger returns far enough forward to clear the hammer full cock notch. The contact of the trigger with the front of the slot acts as a trigger stop I now position them farther to the rear for my fat trigger finger. Although when cocked the trigger repositions far to the rear anyway. The curved Bisley trigger is a vast improvement for my trigger control and feels like my rifles.

Super Blackhawk: Hunter grip frame, fluted cyl, and Bisley trigger:

standard.jpg

I've eliminated the ugly web behind the standard trigger since my very 1st New Model in 1973.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Frank,

I agree, Very nice package. I flat topped an OM single six but with Ruger/s smallest steel plow handle grip frame but a Super BH hammer and wide grooved trigger.

It's old and worn now but still my favorite:

standard.jpg

Before:

standard.jpg