Flattening Out A Pair Of Old Imitation Stag Grips-Nevermind!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gene

Single-Sixer
I have a set of very old Staglon or imitation stag grips that look great and were made for a New Model Blackhawk. They are some sort of plastic over a wood backing.

They are slightly bowed and not flat. I was wondering if someone had some suggestions on flattening them out? I don't want to crack the plastic.

I have heard about steaming them and then putting them in a vise or clamps. I was also thinking about maybe getting them wet and clamping them down to a flat piece of metal and putting them into the oven on low heat for a couple hours until thoroughly dry.

Any of you have any experience with this or have any suggestions? Thanks much!

Gene

Single-Sixer
I was having trouble posting the other day.

No, no luck. I soaked them in water and tried oven drying them clamped but one snapped in half! :(

Hondo44

Hawkeye
For future reference: a piece of 180 to 220 grit paper laid on a perfectly flat surface and push the grip back and forth on the sandpaper until sanding marks can seen on the entire back surface of the wood. Now the grip will be flat.

Gene

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
For future reference: a piece of 180 to 220 grit paper laid on a perfectly flat surface and push the grip back and forth on the sandpaper until sanding marks can seen on the entire back surface of the wood. Now the grip will be flat.

Thanks for that tip Jim. However, the problem was these grips/stocks were so old and not being on a gun, the plastic or whatever the material is somehow became bowed. That's why I tried to straighten them with the moisture and clamped flat on low heat.