Hammer Replacement For NM Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gene

Single-Sixer
This has probably been discussed before but my research only shows older posts. I was wondering if there's some newer thoughts on this.

I recently bought a used NM Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I love the gun but I have small, chunky hands and it's a pretty big stretch for my short thumb to cock the stock hammer.

I realize I can rotate the gun slightly in hand to shorten the length or I could cock it with my other hand while holding it in my strong hand.

I like the looks of the Bisley hammer. It curves down and looks to be wider and easier to cock. Would it be hard to switch the stock hammer out and replace it with a Bisley hammer?

I don't have much gunsmithing skills and if this is possible, would it be a straightforward swap? Also, would a Bisley hammer be expensive or are they availble on the used market? I don't want to spend a lot of money on this as I got a bargain on my used Blackhawk.

If any of you have an alternative to this, I'd love to hear that also. Thanks much!

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
A Super BlackHawk hammer will work for you and fit the standard grip frame better without modification. Also usually easier to locate .

Enigma

Hunter
The Bisley hammer will require you to remove metal from the back of it to fit in the standard 'plowhandle' grip frame. Not difficult to do, but it must be done by you or someone else before it will work.