Question about An OM .30 Carbine Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SBHRSSSSS

Bearcat
A few months ago I picked up an OM .30 Carbine Blackhawk. Finally made time to use it, using factory ammo. I have a question about the Cylinder. I know that the cartridge is Rimless, and I believe the cartridges stop by the chamber length, unlike the .357, .41, .44. After firing, the brass is difficult to eject, as it is expanded against the chamber walls of the cylinder, the expansion being obvious after brass is ejected. You can see the "deformation" at the rear 1/4" of the brass case. Is this typical of the .30 Carbine? Other than a more in depth cleaning of the cylinder chambers, what can be done to improve the removal of spent cartridges? Would a Chamber Reamer be advised? Thanks for your advice. By the way, these are very nice to shoot.

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
Sounds Like Some WARM Factory Ammo. I Would Give It A GOOD Cleaning And Try Diff. Factory Ammo. I Wouldn't Be Useing A Reamer Just Yet. My .02....

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
SBHRSSSSS said:
Would a Chamber Reamer be advised?

If you want to send the cylinder and have it looked at, send some fired brass with it, I could smooth it out if it isn't too bad, if it has a bunch of tool marks or corkscrew looking ridges in it, it's possible a finishing reamer will take most of those out. I have had 9mm cylinders come in with the same complaint and a reamer cured those. Send a PM for details..