Jug tests

Help Support Ruger Forum:

slugflinger

Bearcat
Not that kind! Get your mind out of the gutter. Had a chance to burn some powder yesterday, but the wind was quite gusty, and I didn't want to have to chase my chronograph across two counties. I had brought along some water jugs, so I tested a couple of loads.

Sorry folks, trying o get the hang of this image posting.

So, the first pic shows a Barnes 53 Gr. triple shock, fired into water jugs @ 35 yds. from a 16" Colt M-4 style rifle. Measurement (.480") is across the widest part of the slug and the bullet shown beside it is a Hornady .451" 230 gr. XTP. Velocity of this load (.223) averages 2830 fps. The second photo shows a Speer 135 gr. gold dot short barrel bullet fired at 7 yds. from a model 60 S&W with a three inch barrel, also next to the 230 gr. XTP. Average velocity of this load (38 spl.+P) is 908 fps. The 223 bullet was found in the 4th. jug, the 38 spl. load made it through 3 jugs & bounced off of the 4th.

gasbag

Blackhawk
slugflinger said:
Not that kind! Get your mind out of the gutter.

I must be getting old or I need a hobby because that is where my
little brain took me immediately.

slugflinger

Bearcat
Haha! Yes my mind went there too, but not until after I had typed it.
I also expected more penetration from the 223 Barnes load.
Also, Moderator, if you like please move my post, meant to put it in the Factory and hand loads section.

Don Zauker

Bearcat
All right, penetration is +/- the same.

But now I'm curious to know about what's happened at firsts slug.

EDIT: sorry for mistake, I want write "firsts jugs"

"Interesting. I would have expected the .223 to penetrate more jugs than it did."
Put that into perspective. That's approx 32" of penetration. While not as dense or resistant to penetration as ballistic gel, water filled 1 gallon milk jugs are a viable medium. It's only good for comparing different bullets in that specific medium vs ballistic gel which is often "calibrated".
The capability to penetrate 4 milk jugs would pretty much ensure full penetration of a medium sized deer on a fully broadsize presentation. The fact that this bullet hit the media @35 yards rather than a typical hunting range adds to the expansion and shortens the penetration. We usually shoot water jugs @ 100 yards.

slugflinger

Bearcat
Yes, they were gallon size. The first jugs hit were shredded with both loads. The second jug hit by the 223 load was also pretty well shredded, while the second hit with the 38 spl load was split. Third jugs; split with 223, just punctured with 38 load. I agree Mobuck, and in fact, carried this 223 load during the past deer season though didn't get a shot. (New job & had to cover for all the other guys who had days off to hunt. Dang it!). Tried the same exact 38 Spl. +P load at 32 Yd. from my 12" Contender barrel. Will report on that when I find time if any are interested.