Ruger "color cased revolvers" ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pete

Single-Sixer
Does anyone really know the process that Ruger used to produce the fake color caseing on their revolvers? I would like to re-do a frame and if possible use the same process that Ruger initially used.

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
This is a tangential reply. The only color case hardening of which I am aware is done by Turnbull Manufacturing. By information I have received, processing Ruger steel [frames] is difficult because AISI 4140 does not easily accept the process. To repeat, Turnbull Manufacturing does real color case hardening, not decorative chemical case.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Single-Sixer
Thank you but I am looking for the early method Ruger used for fake case colors.I cannot afford the prices of Turnbull so I am looking just to touch up what is left on my revolver.

Enigma

Hunter
There are many sources other than Turnbull for color case hardening for Rugers (and other guns). Tyler Gun Works is one that comes readily to mind.

As far as the exact process that Ruger used, I don't know what the process entailed. It should be noted, however, that Ruger 1) no longer offers it, and 2) that they blue the frames on guns that originally had this chemical coloring process applied if they need to be refinished. That alone speaks volumes.

Pete

Single-Sixer
Thanks everybody for your replies.I have been looking on the web and have possibly found a way to at least copy what Ruger did,further tests on metal will determine that.

Enigma said:
There are many sources other than Turnbull for color case hardening for Rugers (and other guns). Tyler Gun Works is one that comes readily to mind.

As far as the exact process that Ruger used, I don't know what the process entailed. It should be noted, however, that Ruger 1) no longer offers it, and 2) that they blue the frames on guns that originally had this chemical coloring process applied if they need to be refinished. That alone speaks volumes.

Just like to add that I owned one of those, a Vaquero haven't shot new in box. A couple
years ago I took it out just to look at it fondle it a bit and noticed the case color was faded away. Called Ruger and they sent me a shipping label. Long story short I got a
call from service they told me they no longer do that finish. I was polite but insisted
they restore it to original finish, they complied but informed me it would be a few months. I agreed said no problem. They did do it! I Explain to them the Case Color is
the reason for my purchase. They sent it out to a sub contractor came back BETTER than Original. ps

Latest posts