Ruger OM Blackhawk rear sight adjustment?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bocash3

Bearcat
Have had this 4 5/8" OM Blackhawk .357 as a mate to the 6 1/2" for many years.

For some reason, I have never had great accuracy with the 4 5/8" even when sandbagged
on a bench.

This past weekend. I again attempted to sight this one in to hit center at 25 yards...........same sandbag and same bench.

The elevation is set perfect. The problem is windage. I have moved the rear sight leaf so far to the right that the screw is now almost falling out of the assembly. In fact, it sticks way out to the right and no longer
engages the "clicker" mechanism in the sight. It can be turned easily with a fingernail, so I know it will move around during recoil and so will the leaf.

I don't like this. Is there any way to run that screw in farther to the left so that when the leaf is at "full right," the screw will not be almost falling out? Am I making sense?

*The front sight does not appear to be bent, in case that might be a thought.

Thanks in advance, Bo

DGW1949

Hunter
Assuming that the front sight isn't canted and that the crown is both square to the bore and concentric, you shouldn't be needing anything close to the amount of rear sight adjustment you are trying to get.
In other words, you don't have a lack of windage-adjustment problem, something else is wrong. Might be a mechanical issue, might be shooter related...dunno.

DGW

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Just curious. How close is the base of the sight to being centered in the dovetail? If the base is off center, that will suck up some of the windage adjustment of the blade.

bocash3

Bearcat
Thanks for reading my junk fellers!!

SGW: that would be a great suggestion, but on the old model Blackhawk, there is no dovetail on the rear sight. The sight assembly is pinned into a grove between two steel "ears" built into the top of the steel frame. These ears are what prevents it from being an earlier Flat Top.

I have been a handgun owner/shooter/reloader/FFL/collector going back to 1958 and am passionate about getting any adjustable sighted gun to shoot where I aim.

Visually, the barrel and ejector rod housing seem to be fitted perfectly. Visually, the front sight is not bent.

Believe me, I have sighted-in literally a thousand or more handguns over the years and adjusted sights as needed. This one needs more "screw" to get the windage where it needs to go.

The leaf blade is now as far right as to be even with the edge of the assembly that houses it..........the part that has the adj. screw in the middle of the sight leaf base. The screw is just plain loose and is hanging out an abnormal amount to the right, in my opinion.

I have sighted many hundreds of Smith revolvers with adj. sights and have had a number of them finally "tune-in" with the sight blade all the way to one side or the other, but their windage adj. screw does not run all the way out of the sight housing and act like it is going to fall completely out, like the one on this OM Ruger.

DGW, while my eyes are far from perfect, this case won't be shooter error. It has to be mechanical. On my sandbag/bench rig, I can center a marshmellow at 25 yards with the "sister gun," an Old Model Blackhawk with 6 1/2" barrel. This 4 5/8" piece has always been a problem child...............and I am a stickler for having pistols that shoot to center with proper adjustment or I will not keep them.

Is that danged elevation screw supposed to come out that far to the right? Maybe I need to purposely try screwing that screw all the way to the right with one of the 6 other Old Model Ruger single actions to see, even if it means having to re-sight it later. Whacha think?

*Sorry to take up so much space, but to clarify, the sight blade is now about where it needs to be - extreme right, but that danged screw is dangling loose and I know the sight will not stay fixed in this position. I am surprised it has not fallen out on the ground. No Smith revolver has ever done this.

Y'all take care, Bo

contender

Ruger Guru
When I have a "problem child" such as this,,, I step back, recenter the rear blade, move closer, & shoot a group. If it's still "off",,, I ask someone else to shoot it,,, (who is good with a sixgun.) I judge their results. if we both do the same thing,,, then I know it's the gun & not the shooter.
Now,,, if it's the gun,,, here is an easy way to fix it. GENTLY mill away, or file away one side of the rear blade, enlarging the rear slot. DO THIS IN SMALL INCREMENTS! Test fire. Redo as necessary.
I've also seen some shooters mill away a SMALL amount of the side of the front sight blade as well. Again, you do this to correspond with the necessary sight adjustment.

Just an idea to consider.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Maybe recrown the muzzle and see if that helps? Must be some reason. Front sight off somehow? Maybe just make a whole new blade for the rear sight with the notch offset? I think it would bother me just that it "does not shoot straight".

bocash3

Bearcat
Contender and Woodperson::

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Contender: I had actually thought about both of your suggestions........filing the Right side of the sight leaf and as a last resort: file the right side of the front sight.

I have done some minor gunsmithing all my life, replacing internal parts, fitted cylinders, made pistol grips, checkered a few stocks, etc. However, I proceed with caution when altering existing parts.

So............ I took the culprit to the bench last night and ran the rear sight leaf screw all the way out and yes, it fell out. It was then I discovered that the leaf has a spring which "pushes" the blade to the Right. The screw is screwed in to "Push" the blade to the left. The screw is part threaded and part smooth metal with a hole in the end that touches the sight blade. "Conceivably, I could grind a lot of that smooth part off and just leave the threaded part. This would shorten the screw where it would seat deeper into the sight assembly and not push the blade so far. Am I making sense?

Still, what really bothers me is there are NO POSITIVE STOPS.............NO "CLICKS" felt. A Smith windage screw has Positive Clicks. So even if I grind this screw down, the positive stops are not there but what it would Not do is stick so far out to the right and maybe not be so loose. As a temporary fix, I applied Heavy Grease to the leaf screw threads and put it back in place with the sight blade even with the right side of the sight assembly. This is where I got my best "Center Groups" on the target.

Have even thought about "buggering up" the screw threads to fit tighter and/or using Locktite. Will study more on both later.

Contender: Am just up the road in the southern end of Dysartsville and only spitting distance from the Rutherford Co. line. "Howdy, neighbor!" Like yourself, I was once a NC Hunter Safety Instructor.

Woodperson: While I have spent very little time in Knoxville, I do fly fish and do photography in the Smokies on the TN side, not far from you.

Y'all are the best. Now, I need to decide if grinding the left side of the rear sight screw is worth the risk. Gonna see if I can find a spare first.

Take care, Bo in the edge of the South Mountains- with plenty of rattlesnakes in my yard.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well howdy neighbor. If you need to test that old gun, I happen to own a private gun range,,, just outside the city limits of Lake Lure. We also hold a Ruger Forum Gathering each fall here. You need to wander on over.
(Don't kill the rattlesnakes, they are protected in NC.) :D

Rear sight blades are inexpensive, and the easiest to cut on.
Shortening the adjustment screw,,, well, it's possible,,, but that hole in the end needs to be there to hook up with the tip of the blade.

bocash3

Bearcat
Contender

Since 5 of the 9 Ruger Blackhawks/Super Blackhawks (including 1 Super Single Six) resting here are Old Models, I may need to come visit your gathering. I like to pal around with guys that are serious and like the older stuff.

I too built a private range at a cabin in a remote area of Avery County. We bonded together a total of 13 guys who like to hunt, shoot, hike, and fly fish..............and built a cabin on 20 acres surrounded by Nat'l Forest. Each owner gets 4 weeks a year and I just finished my winter week.

Yes, the "rear sight leaf pin" was noted deep inside the assembly when using a flashlight. I backed out of grinding down that screw. First order now is to go back to the cabin in April and when the short barrel Blackhawk is centered at the sand bags, I plan to apply LockTite and then leave it alone, even if that confounded screw is sticking out a bit too much to my liking. It's the flimsy looseness that bugs me..............

Today, I examined an OM Super Blackhawk, a Flat Top .44 Blackhawk, an OM Super Single Six, and the "sister" gun to this one, a 6 1/2" .357 OM Blackhawk. I noted that 2 of the 4 screws were sticking out a bit to the right because of my past sighting efforts. In my obsessive mix are also a 10 1/2" Super BH, a 7 1/2" .45 Blackhawk, and 2 Flat Top .44 Specials in both barrel lengths. These 4 are all New Models and have been sighted. I did not examine them because they are stored in a harder-to-get-to place.

Bottom line: Being a former FFL and rabid collector, I am simply too used to S&W sighting and shoot more S&W revolvers than Ruger. As you well know, their screws stay "in place" and have Positive click-stops.

We need to meet sometime. I have hand surgery at Valdese Hospital this week and won't be able to use my right hand for about 2 months........so no more pistol shooting for this geezer for a while... :( Typing on the computer may be "out" as well.

Oh.......and yeah I know about them rattle-critters. I was a biology and ecology teacher for 29 years, etc. However, I never go out on my land during summer/fall without a NAA mini-revolver in my pocket.......loaded w/ CCI rat shot. You would not believe how many venomous serpents I step on during a year. Have had many close calls. And I will not harm a black or garter snake, Never!

Y'all take care and behave, Bo

contender

Ruger Guru
Bo, just 9 Rugers,,,, and you say you are a "rabid" collector? Heck, I have more than that in just a single caliber! :D :D
Seriously,,, I do enjoy the OM Rugers A LOT! You'll be in good company around here. But I understand your thoughts on the S&W vs. a Ruger in the sight adjustments. One of the things old Bill tried hard to do was keep expenses down. And click adjustment sights cost more. He found that the spring tension type he used could handle recoil, so it was one way to keep expenses down by not having click adjustable ones. Remember, he was all about building a gun the working guy could afford.
Now, you could possibly and VERY carefully hand file a LITTLE off the adjustment screw back, AND maybe take a little off the tip of the rear blade to allow more of the screw to stay in the body of the rear assy. Magnifier lamp, a vise, sharp small files, and careful honing of each piece could get it to where you may find it allows more of the screw to stay in the body. Throw in a small amount of filing in the square sight slot, and it can help as well.

A cabin in Avery county huh? There's holes in those hills where the mountain "spring water",,, tempered with corn is mighty good! My range is private,,, but we do have an open to the public USPSA match here monthly. It's a registered range with the USPSA. I just can't make enough money to make it a full time, open to the public range thing.
A biology & ecology teacher huh? As a NCWRC Animal Damage Control Agent,,, I get to see all kinds of critters. Them rattlers are protected,,, and usually easily avoided. I actually enjoy it when I encounter one.

But we do need to meet up sometime. And with your hand surgery,,, you may not be able to shoot,,, but fondling old Rugers may be ok??? Dysartsville isn't too far away. As many miles as I put on my truck,,, that's a "short" distance for me. We do need to meet & enjoy a BS session about Rugers & shooting.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
That is definitely beautiful area down there. My girlfriends dad lives in Lenoir and we go down that way about twice a year. Head up into Blowing Rock and cruz the parkway and sight see. Her daughter got married a couple years ago at Brown Mountain Beach, great time. And then we head farther west to Bryson City area, her cousin has a little cabin over there. That's where I'm planning on retiring in about 10yrs. Love it down there.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well SweetWilliam,,, we need more gun loving Yankees here! :D :D (It'll help offset the liberals in Trashville,,, eeeerrrr,,, Asheville.) :D :D

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
We drove by Asheville a bunch of times but never stopped.
I heard their was a couple good barbecue joints there.
And really that's my main reason for me wanting to go into Blowing Rock, I like Woodland Barbecue. Lol

bocash3

Bearcat
SweetWilliam said:
We drove by Asheville a bunch of times but never stopped.
l

and as per Contender you are better off not visiting Little San Francisco of the East. come on down.
couple of closest friends moved from ohio. Trashville full of liberals who protest & complain. stick to bbq in blowing rock.

Surgery to right hand yester.....cant type. Hydrocodone helping as surgeon stated unbearable pain without it. slept on recliner-worked out pretty well. had toget up every 4 hrs to take pill.

no fly rod and no shooting until hand heals - hopefully 3 months tops.

contender

Ruger Guru
There is plenty of good bar-b-que all around w/o going into Trashville. One of the "famous" joints is preferred by Hussain. I refuse to go there. As long as you stay out of the city area,,, you can find a lot of good stuff, w/o putting up with all the alternative lifestyled weirdos & freaks who inhabit Trashville. A few examples; The city allows the street people to urinate & such on the street, w/o it being illegal. There is a higher tax in restaurants to help cover the expenses of keeping up the street people. (And there is a proposal to increase that tax even more.) Several years ago, a very liberal mayor ran off 5 major events that brought in millions to the economy,, all at the same time inviting other cities to send Trashville their homeless. Many cities put homeless folks on a bus,,, with a little money in their pockets, with a one way ticket here.
And if you really want a peek at the accepted lifestyle promoted here,,, look into an article in Rolling Stone in May of 2000 (Google it,) that had a lengthy article about Ukiah Morrison who would wear a G-string, & full body paint, and he'd lay on the grass in Pack Square. He tried to run for mayor, but his criminal record prevented it. I need to find my copy of RS that I got JUST because of that article.

These are but a few reasons I welcome gun loving folks to our area.

Now bocash3,,, sounds like you've had a rough one. Good luck, get well, get here as much as you can, and we'll plan a get together.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I remember going to eat in Bryson City at Anthony's and i had to use the restroom so I headed that way. Well when I got there their was about 4 women waiting in line so I said excuse me and headed towards the front to the men's room. I guess you know what happened next. Their wasn't any men's room, only unisex rooms. I was a little dumbfounded having never seen this before.
Well I got inline behind the women. Lol
But then 2 years later we went there and their was separate restrooms.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ahh,,, the timeframe where we had all the liberals in an uproar over marking bathrooms male or female & making a person use the one that coincides with their birth certificate. Seems we had some transgender folks upset. But the pedophiles loved it. There were a few cases locally where pedophiles were caught,,,, in the wrong bathroom.

Many of the local mountain communities that are popular with tourists actually cater to the alternative lifestyle crowd. Or at least try to accommodate them.

Now, I'm NOT against ANYBODY'S choice about how they live their life. But I am against it when they try & force their opinions upon others, WITHOUT tolerance of a differing view. I've left a church where a Baptist preacher railed against Catholics,,, and I've defended gay friends & their lifestyle who most never knew they were gay. I've got black friends,,, and I've stood fiercely in their defense against racist individuals. (Once was part of a HS riot that involved over 200 students.)
That guy Ukiah Morrison was trying HARD to become a "statement" & force his style of living upon others in the MANY local news items he got published in. Eventually,,, he did move on, out of Asheville.

My point is,,, we have a lot of GREAT places,,, but Asheville is a HOTBED of anti-gun, very liberal, non-tolerant types,,, who constantly force their ideals in front of the cameras & such,, all while protesting any who oppose their agenda.
So, we do welcome any here who enjoy firearms & support their basic Rights!