Stuck base axis pin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a Ruger Blackhawk with an aftermarket base axis (cylinder axis) pin which I cannot remove. The pin has an hourglass shaped head. While other Ruger single action revolvers have a tiny bit of longitudinal play in the axis pin without depressing the transverse latch, this pin feels as if it is welded in place, even when the latch is depressed. The latch does not seem to depress as far as a Ruger with a factor base axis pin. I have not removed the latch because I do not have the proper tool for the screw whose slot is bisected by a pin.

Before I take the weapon to the gunsmith, I thought I would make this post on the odd chance this is some common malady with a standard fix. Thanks in advance--but I suspect this is a gunsmith issue.

NikA

Buckeye
Some of the aftermarket base pins lock with a divot on the underside of the barrel and a set screw. Are you sure this isn't the case for the sample you have?

5ruger.jpg

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
If NikA didn't give you the answer, maybe you could modify a cheap screwdriver and take the base pin latch apart.

NikA's photo is identical to my revolver--except in the photo the axis pin latch seems to be protruding a normal distance. Mine does not stick out that far. I thought the tiny hole might a set screw but didn't have that small an allen wrench--but considering the price of an allen wrench vs. a gunsmith'$ time, I will investigate further. Thanks to both suggestors.

soak it in Kroil, , maybe even a bit of heat, use the proper sized allen key ( tool/bit),,,,gotta get the set screw out first, the latch assembly is not your problem, the "set screw" is.......the Kroil will also help lube the center pin,break up any coagulating going on inside the cylinder and the center pin......
you round off (booger) the allen set screw and you will have to drill it out, maybe an easy out, whatever.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You can get that screwdriver bit at Home Depot. (spanner bit)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Spanner-10-12-Replacement-Bit-32778/301299132

or https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-10-Steel-Spanner-Drive-Insert-Bit-65578/202209867

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
That base pin in the photo has a tiny set screw in it that jams up into the barrel locking it in place preventing it from backing out under recoil. The set screw must be backed out to allow the base pin to be removed.

A trip to the hardware store reveals the first allen wrench small enough to fit has so much slop that the hardware man and I agree trying to force the screw loose with that particular wrench is an invitation to damage its female orifice--which may already have been accomplished by the previous owner. I'm thinking this is turning into a gunsmith trip--if I can repress my urge to hacksaw the head off, detail strip the weapon, and punch out the axis pin from the rear.

But I should look into the Home Depot spanner. Thanks for that tip.

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
That is a Belt Mountain base pin. You might try asking Belt Mountain for an allen wrench that would fit. Or even ask the correct size so you could get one at the hardware store.

Thanks for the offer, but will pass. The allen screw is now removed and I have no reason to continue to use it.

Latest posts