RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:05 am 
Hawkeye

Next time you have to send a gun back to Ruger go to an FFL and have them send it 'flat rate' and that will save you a lot of money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqXSBe- ... 325701CE9C

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 am 
Newly Registered

when i removed the remaining 5 shells from the cylinder, i then reinserted the cylinder,barely getting it in and then barely getting it out.for some reason the frame opening or the cylinder had changed shape?????. dont know but it was not the shells causing the jam up.it may be something more simple that i could not discern.when i hear from ruger,i will let you know the outcome.thanks again for the interest.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:34 am 
Single-Sixer

Usually Ruger will send the brown truck by to pick the gun up and take it back. I cannot believe they didn't email you a shipping label.

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throat reaming? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? Shoot me a PM! Also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Cylinderhone-756429174391912/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:38 pm 
Buckeye

OP, were the cartridges you had trouble with .357 mags? If they were, and you hadn't cleaned the fouling out of the cylinder from the 150 .38 specials you fired, that could be the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:46 pm 
Hunter

By “common” , I meant a few of mine,when new, are tight, sometimes base pin is stubborn. I have never seen a Blackhawk where cylinder is stuck to point of using a deadblow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:42 pm 
Hawkeye

The problem was removing the base pin with the cyl bound up.
A good cyl fit is tight to remove and install. Once the pin is removed the cyl gets out of square with the frame and then you have an experience that you had.

A couple of lessons;

1) if you send back to Ruger insist on a free return shipping label.
2) Practice removing and reinstalling cyl until you acquire the feel for keeping it square in the cyl window. Roll it gently and slowly clockwise until you can feel the cyl notches engage and disengage from the cyl hand (pawl), while focusing on keeping the cyl from cocking to one side or the other.
3) study the recoil shield behind the cyl until you see where it gets thicker for proper head space when shells are in battery.
4) check that any new reloads rotate freely all the way around when loaded one at a time in the cyl. Shoot one or two singly to make sure the fired primer will clear the upper recoil shield after firing.
5) if a cartridge hangsup after firing, do not remove cyl pin, the cyl will get cocked out of square. Turn the cyl forcefully using both hands. Recognize that all your doing is mashing a brass primer back into its pocket to clear the recoil shield so it can be unloaded thru the loading gate. You can't hurt the steel parts of the gun!
6) free wheeling cyls are very helpful in these circumstances.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:37 pm 
Hawkeye

I'll ask a silly question . . .

Any chance you tried to remove the cylinder to the left side of the frame? That's a guaranteed hangup. The cylinder has to come out the right side thru the open loading gate.

If this is not the case, just ignore me . . . but I've seen this happen before.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:51 am 
Buckeye

Maybe the cylinder pin wasn't seated fully when he fired the shot?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:14 pm 
Blackhawk

if Ruger will not send a free return label and they probably won't for a gun thats more than a couple of years old, they will sell you one for 30 bucks. thats probably the cheapest way to return a gun to them.

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:53 pm 
Hunter

I wonder what Ruger determined happened to the OP's revolver. He hasn't posted since this incident.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:29 pm 
Blackhawk

Perhaps lack of correct crimp.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:39 pm 
Blackhawk

or that first handloaded round reshaped things.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:21 pm 
Hawkeye

After one shot a primer backed out and locked up the cylinder. Can happen with light loads or any load if the shell head is off a little. No need to take the cylinder pin out if this happens just force the cylinder to rotate past the bad shell.

As far as the cylinder being hard to put back in, well it happens to all of us. There is a video that shows how to rotate the cylinder after installed in the frame and then dropping the base pin in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmSEuJZp8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKrBXF4zXjI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqXSBe- ... 325701CE9C

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:00 am 
Blackhawk

Give the cylinder frame a good look. Since they’re reloads maybe u had a bullet jump. See if there is daylight,hold up to a white background,between the chamber thats in-line with the barrel and forcing cone.