Improve the trigger on a Ruger LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JStacy

Blackhawk
Is there a way to improve the trigger pull , DA & SA, on a Ruger LCR ? I know shoot them a lot but are there any spring kits or DIY to lighten the trigger on an LCR ?

contender

Ruger Guru
I haven't seen any spring kits for them yet. But,, it may be due to a different design in the action as to why nobody has tried to "improve" them yet.

I've seen some videos where guys have cut down the hammer spring a little, that being said, the trigger on my LCR is perfect for an EDC revolver. It's smooth, but it's heavy enough the an accidental discharge is virtually impossible, also, being my self protection gun I don't think i would want to use a hammer spring that might cause light strikes.

JStacy

Blackhawk
actually I was looking at lightening my LCRX 3" for kit gun use and yes it would have to be 100% for trail use also.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Went to the range yesterday and shot the LCRX 38 and it will group OK but it is extremely difficult to shoot decent groups with a 5# trigger pull on a 17Oz gun. So far no one has come out with a spring kit Nice light trail gun for small game and snakes , we have several poisonous varieties in south Texas , but for a plinker the SA trigger hurts the guns "shoot ability".

Don Zauker

Bearcat
I'm a Wolff fan, I have they stuff on all my revo.

I've asked about something for my .357 LCRX and they say me they're working about.

JStacy

Blackhawk
any port in a storm. I would just like to decrease the trigger pull on a nice light pistol. The problem is a 17 Oz gun with a 4-5# trigger pull makes it hard to shoot.

recumbent

Buckeye
If you shoot it more you'll get better.
I've had my LCR in 357 for 5 years I shoot it every other week about 100 rounds.
I'm pretty good with it and the trigger is just fine.
I'ts my EDC.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
A good clean trigger at 5# single action is easier to shoot well than a long creepy 3#. trigger spring kits are over rated especially for single action shooting. The longer lock time of a weaker main spring gives more time for shake as well as a good chance of light strikes and misfires.

JStacy

Blackhawk
LCRX is a sa/da gun not straight SA. I have found a cure for the heavy trigger pull. There is a gun show next week end and I will sell/trade it away.

protoolman said:
A good clean trigger at 5# single action is easier to shoot well than a long creepy 3#. trigger spring kits are over rated especially for single action shooting. The longer lock time of a weaker main spring gives more time for shake as well as a good chance of light strikes and misfires.

I agree and will add to this. A weaker Mainspring does not lighten the trigger pull on a single action! This is the biggest misconception I have seen by novice gun owners on single actions. A heavier mainspring will break lighter on a proper trigger action job, with lighter return spring work.

The next problem many cause is going to heavy on the mainspring for single actions! This will disturb shot with more bounce or vibration before the bullet exits when more excessive than needed for reliable ignition.

Then there is reliable ignition, which many confuse, thinking if it fired and went bang, it was good ignition? Not necessarily, their is such a thing as light strikes that fire the round, but not consistently! Milliseconds can create a great deal of difference in accuracy especially with revolvers, and the longer the barrel, the more it's affects are noticed.

Anyways those that do not understand all these facts, maybe you should leave action work to those who do. I have clean crisp 2# no creep reliable triggers on all my single actions, 3# on my double, but every one uses the factory mainspring and will shoot one ragged hole groups at 25 yards using it.

Moral, if you want a range gun, or target gun buy one, the LCR will never be a target revolver, but will excel at what it is designed to do reliably until compromised by anyone not understanding all aspects of a proper action!