Uberti-Cimarron Lightning problems --FIXED!--

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I know, not a Ruger, but maybe you fellers can offer up some tips on light firing pin strikes with my Uberti-Cimarron Lightning .22 revolver. This is a ten shot 3 1/2" barreled bird's head grip revolver that is fun to shoot. Out of ten shots it will fire maybe 5, sometimes 7-8. I have tried many different brands of ammo with the same results. Any ideas? I would really like to get this little revolver up and running. Thank in advance for your suggestions. :D

Dave

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
Remove the cylinder and clean it good, then see if ammo seats fully when you load the cylinder outside of the gun. If it drops in smoothly, then the chambers themselves may not be the problem. If any have to be pushed in to seat fully, this may be the cause of the misfires, when the hammer falls instead of firing the shot, it pushes the bullet fully into the chamber thus absorbing the energy of the firing pin like a shock absorber does for a car on a bumpy road.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I agree with Cholo.

Most likely a mainspring problem. Take out the spring and trace the curve. Then put it in a vise and squeeze to remove some of the curve. Compare with tracing. Test fire.
Don't squeeze too much, you could snap it.

Push in on the firing pin from the hammer channel. Does it move in and out smoothly or feel 'catchy'.
Since it's a frame mounted firing pin, make sure the retainer is screwed in tight.
The firing pin spring may be binding or too stiff, and restricting forward motion of the firing pin. Pull it out and cut off a coil.

xman9282

Single-Sixer
I don't mean to sound to elementary... My lightning 38 special was bought used and I did not know the history of the gun, but not a scratch on it. Went to the range and had the same thing happen. All I had with me was WD40 so I sprayed her down. Turns out she was just too dry and ran fine after that.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Point well taken!

I got mine used and it fired fine. But it had such a stiff & hard action, so I slightly loosened the mainspring screw. The hammer wouldn't even drop all the way; it stopped at about 1/2 way down!

A little oiling and it would shoot again. A little action work and it shoots much easier.

Guys,

I have followed all of your suggestions except for tweeking the main spring. The cartridges drop into the cylinder uniformly and easily. The firing pin is free and fully seated into the frame. The working parts are lubricated. At the next opportunity I will test fire it and report my results. Weather is terrible right now so it may not be until next week. Thanks again for your help! :D

Dave

Well, I tweeked the mainspring a little and snipped a half coil off the firing pin return spring. I had 2 "failure to fire" incidents in 30 rounds fired. I will tweek the mainspring just a touch more and check results. Thanks for the help! Looks like I am headed in the right direction.....

Dave

FINALLY! After careful stages of bending the mainspring and snipping a coil off the firing pin return spring, I shot 50 trouble free positive ignition rounds through this little revolver today. :D Each attempt to get to this point was painstaking trial and error. Now, I can enjoy plinking with this revolver...... Me happy! :wink:

Dave