Ruger 77/50 Trigger Issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

slowr1der

Bearcat
So I bought a Ruger 77/50 from a friend a few days ago. I took apart to clean it, cleaned the barrel, pulled the pin out of the sear and cleaned it out all around that and the bolt stop, etc. Just gave it an overall cleaning, put it back together and every time I close the bolt it fires. I've read the threads about the sear wearing on these especially with the 209 kit installed, but this still has the breech plug for #11 caps.

Anyway, I took it back out of the stock to see what was going on and when it is out of the stock it works perfectly. I can close the bolt as hard as I want and it doesn't trip the trigger. Once I put it back in the stock and tighten the rear stock screw down it starts having the issue again. If I leave the rear stock screw loose it works perfectly as well, but once I snug it back down the issue starts. I don't see the stock pushing on the trigger anywhere, so I'm just at a complete loss. Does this sound like the common issue with the sear on these, or do you all have any other suggestions? It's leading me to believe it's not the sear since it works fine out of the stock. The only sear I can find for sale is the Timney for $45, so I hate to spend that much just to test it. Any advice would be appreciated.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
My first wooden stocked 77/50 did same thing. I also used the Canadian made 209 breech plug. I ordered sear and trigger from Brownells. Bought several sets to have on hand. Then bought a couple more 77/50's off Gun Broker. The first wooden stock dented where screw comes up under bolt. I tried to shim. These sears and triggers are same part for a 77/22 Ruger. There is a man making a bolt and breech plug to remedy this 209. Badger something. But a bolt has to be machined to hold the 209 Primer. Around $300.00 I simply went back to 11 cap, Triple 777 powder. The 209 creates pressure and wears sears out with the Canadian made one