has anyone else noticed?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I recently acquired a new SS Ruger Bisley Flattop (Lipsey's exclusive) in .44Spl from forum member Gunsbam69 (great dealer... 3rd purchase from him). I was surprised to find a new part that I'd never seen before on a NM Ruger (and it only appears on the schematic for the Flattop): part#32 "Ejector Alignment Pawl". Also included are part nos. 33 and 34: "cylinder rotation stop spring and stop screw". Very handy little items. I wonder why Ruger has been 'quiet' about them and why they aren't included on their other NM Blackhawks etc...(?). Oh yeah, this flattop has a Micro rear sight..... very nice. Anyone besides me notice; or am I late to the party as usual..?
J

NikA

Buckeye
Only a bit late: they have been present for most of the years the New Vaquero has been available, but I think they are newer to the flattop BH line.

A little more info I found while trying to remember what the system is called: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=121247

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The RIPS alignment feature began when the NM Flattop and New Vaquero were introduced.

They were not and will not be added to any pre existing models unless there is sufficient reason to modify their production programming; too costly to change.

Reverse Indexing Pawl System (RIPS): All the NM FT Blackhawks and NEW Vaqs have this system which allows the cyl to roll backwards enough and stop for the chambers to align to the loading gate trough without the hammer on half cock (which can't be done on standard new models). You can see the device (3 parts) in the hammer channel to the lower left of the cyl pin hole shown below. Grip frames from models w/o this system need a divot cut above the trigger guard for the free spin cyl pawl.

Ruger free spin pawl on the right:
10-17-2010_1a.jpg

Divot for free spin pawl on NM Flat Tops and New Vaqueros with the reverse indexing pawl system shown on the left:
10-17-2010_3a.jpg

Cutting the divot: To locate this notch, take a measurement from the location on your original GF. Or mark that area on the replacement GF with a magic marker, assemble the GF to the gun, then cock the hammer a few times. This will leave a 'witness' mark in the marker ink, so you simply make the "divot" there. Be cautious not to let the cut extend to the outside edge of the grip frame or it will show when assembled, and don't cut notch too deep!
Use a thin cut-off blade in a Dremel tool. With grip frame in a vice, and your old grip frame nearby for reference, hold the Dremel with two hands for control. And replicate the divot in the new grip frame. It's easier to clamp the Dremel tool in the vice at an angle and hold the grip frame instead.

"Reverse Indexing Pawl System" names of parts, Ruger Part #s & Brownell Part #s (about $15 total):

Cylinder Rotation Stop Screw KMVQ04501 780-001-294ah
Ejector Alignment Pawl (not to be confused with the Cyl pawl) KMVQ04502 780-001-292ah
Cylinder rotation Stop Spring KMVQ04500 780-001-293ah
Cyl free spin pawl (must be shortened for single six frame size) KMVQ00701 780-001-296WB

Or just modify your pawl to a free wheel cylinder pawl. No cost and almost no skill required, and won'y have to cut a divot in grip frame if your new grip frame doesn't have one:
http://marauder.homestead.com/files/FreeSpin.html

Johnnu2

Hunter
THANKS ALL....... :))) YUP, my cylinder lines-up with the loading gate for easy loading. I thought this was pretty cool ....
John