Security six cylinder switch question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

9ballbilly

Bearcat
I have an early security six (1974) which apparently came from a police contract as it has fixed sights and is chambered in .38spl. As far as I know all security sixes were built for the .357 magnum, so would there be any problem with switching to a .357 cylinder in this gun? Provided, of course, that the fit is correct for timing/ cylinder gap.

I'm asking because I have two other sixes in .357 (a 1976 and a 1980) and the frames seem heavier.

It wouldn't have crossed my mind to do it except I picked up a .357 cylinder in a parts lot I bought and thought why not have all three sixes chambered alike.

You could, the frame/barrel should/will handle it. But, why? You already have others in .357 Mag. If you do make the change and something happens (like a kaboom and someone gets hurt), guess who is liable and guess who's insurance isn't going to pay. Really not worth the risk (as little as it may be) to me. Load some .38's and have fun. As for the extra cylinder, sell it here in the classifieds, there will be a buyer, probably pretty quickly.

Your newer Sixes seem heavier because the probably are due to the minor changes in barrel profiles and possible minor changes (to the point that you can't distinguish the change) to the frame or even the metals used at that point on time.

You know your .357's can shoot .38 spl don't you?

9ballbilly

Bearcat
Thanks, I was pretty sure the frame was built for .357 loads, but you never know.

Not only .38spl, but .357's also shoot .38LC and .38 short colt.

I don't shoot a whole lot of magnum loads anyway, but like the idea that I could and I already have the cylinder on hand.

Double thanks for mentioning liability, That's something I hadn't considered. Since the .38's only a once in a while range gun I don't think it's a deal-breaker for me, but I'll definitely give it some thought.

Either way, having three Sixes I won't be selling any extra parts.