Does a 357 Security Six have a trigger return spring?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

froggy47

Bearcat
I bought a variety of springs from Wolff. I replaced the hammer spring, easy. I removed the trigger assembly, on my bench now. I don't see where it has a trigger return spring? Obviously I'm a noob to all this but fairly competent with a little guidance.

I've tried looking for a YT but haven't found one yet that gets into SS trigger assembly work.

Any help? Thanks.

:)

The trigger return spring is labeled GP-100, but I was advised some of the spring parts are interchangeable with Security Six hence my question.

Enigma

Hunter
https://www.firearmsforum.com/firearms/ImageUser/24/17546

That would be that item that's labeled KG-37 (I believe, difficult for me to read).

froggy47

Bearcat
So I called Wolff & there is NO trigger return spring on the Security Six. So far as what affects the trigger feel it's the hammer spring and the trigger spring (and various polishing). Hope this helps someone else who is learning about this model. There are of course LOTS of other springs but they don't change the trigger feel.

Back to my bench.

:)

Here are the Wolff hammer and trigger springs for the Six series revolvers: https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/DOUBLE%20ACTION%20SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID230

Yes you can also use the hammer springs from the GP100 pack but not the trigger spring as it is a completely different configuration. The person you talked to at Wolff probably didn't recognize the terminology "Trigger RETURN spring". They just call them trigger springs The trigger spring for the Security Six can be bought separately or with the packs.

Thel

Blackhawk
Ron has it. On my Speed Six I put in the reduced trigger return spring from Wolff for the Six Series and a 11lb mainspring from Wolff (not in the spring kit-order separately) . This made a significant reduction in trigger pull compared to using the Wolff 14 lb mainspring that is reduced weight for the Six Series. At one time Bullseye offered a spring kit with reduced weight springs of lesser tension compared to Wolff. The trigger return spring sits down inside the trigger and can be somewhat challenging to replace. At one time I came across a video on the 'net showing removal and replacing of this spring inside the trigger.

froggy47

Bearcat
Thel said:
Ron has it. On my Speed Six I put in the reduced trigger return spring from Wolff for the Six Series and a 11lb mainspring from Wolff (not in the spring kit-order separately) . This made a significant reduction in trigger pull compared to using the Wolff 14 lb mainspring that is reduced weight for the Six Series. At one time Bullseye offered a spring kit with reduced weight springs of lesser tension compared to Wolff. The trigger return spring sits down inside the trigger and can be somewhat challenging to replace. At one time I came across a video on the 'net showing removal and replacing of this spring inside the trigger.

Thanks all, here is a video I did. I AM OBVIOUSLY not a gunsmith, but I got both springs in & put it back together without any parts left over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHJkp1z4qDk

Thanks for the video Froggy. I guess I got lucky because I replaced the hammer spring only on my late 80s vintage stainless Security Six with a lighter Wolff spring and both the double action and single action trigger pull improved greatly. I've never had a misfire with factory or handloaded ammo over the years. I might invest in a good trigger pull gauge.

Regards,

froggy47

Bearcat
Pistolero said:
Thanks for the video Froggy. I guess I got lucky because I replaced the hammer spring only on my late 80s vintage stainless Security Six with a lighter Wolff spring and both the double action and single action trigger pull improved greatly. I've never had a misfire with factory or handloaded ammo over the years. I might invest in a good trigger pull gauge.

Regards,
Thanks for viewing. My videos are not Hollywood fancy & I don't claim my way is best, just try to help folks out by showing one way to do it.

Merry Xmas!