Trouble with Lyman electronic pull gauge?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

froggy47

Bearcat
I seem to be unable to repeat the trigger weight sa/da and I am trying as best I know how to use the tool correctly.
Measuring a .357 Security 6 as I replace springs. Hammer/reset/trigger. I am doing one at a time.

Taking avg. of multi pulls I get (stock/original) 7lbs da and 1lb 14oz sa. The readings seem to vary as much as 2 lbs da and as much as 1 lb sa.

Replaced hammer spring with a Wolff rated 12 lb.

Again avg. of multi pulls I get 5lb 14oz da and 2lb 8 oz sa. I don't understand why the sa would change, never mind go UP!

I rest the butt on my bench block hold the barrel with my hand and do the pulls.

Is this tool not that accurate?
Am I using it wrong?
Why did the sa go up?

Thanks for any help.

:)

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
froggy47 said:
I seem to be unable to repeat the trigger weight sa/da and I am trying as best I know how to use the tool correctly.
Measuring a .357 Security 6 as I replace springs. Hammer/reset/trigger. I am doing one at a time.

Taking avg. of multi pulls I get (stock/original) 7lbs da and 1lb 14oz sa. The readings seem to vary as much as 2 lbs da and as much as 1 lb sa.

Replaced hammer spring with a Wolff rated 12 lb.

Again avg. of multi pulls I get 5lb 14oz da and 2lb 8 oz sa. I don't understand why the sa would change, never mind go UP!

I rest the butt on my bench block hold the barrel with my hand and do the pulls.

Is this tool not that accurate?
Am I using it wrong?
Why did the sa go up?

Thanks for any help.

:)

I use my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge almost daily. Agree, the firearm, whether pistol, rifle, or shotgun needs to be held stationary and safely, without movement. How it's positioned doesn't matter from what I've found, but you do need to have clear access to the trigger. I find it best to position the black plastic cylinder on the end of the pull gauge as close to where the trigger finger is placed on the trigger as possible, with each reading of the gauge. Then, do your 10, or so, pulls to get your average pull weight.