Blackhawk rear sight too high.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gssp

Bearcat
Near the Mouth of Hobble Creek Canyon, Utah
So, I think I read somewhere, recently, if a Ruger Blackhawk rear sight it too high, one only need to remove the rear sight and take a swiss (?) file after the manufacturing protrusions which keep the rear sight from bottoming out completely.....true?

Alan

contender

Ruger Guru
Any time you file on any portion of the frame it can detract from the originality of the firearm,,, and ultimately affect it's value. Plus,, once metal is removed,,, you can't put it back. If the rear is too high,,, then the front sight is too low. A taller front sight is often an easier fix, especially if the gun is stainless & the front blade is the replaceable type. I do not recommend filing the frame on a good gun if at all fixable by other methods,,,, including the replacement of removable parts.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
It is hard to get much lower on the rear sight. And be careful, you can get the end of the sight screw into the cylinder pretty easily. I have a fake turn line there on mine. I have not filed anything on the frame. But I filed the ears and notch of the sight. Did not do much but mess it up. One way to bring it on target is to work with the loads. Somewhere between Trail Boss and Lill Gun there is probably a load that will get it in the adjustment range for the sights. Except perhaps in the .41 mag where you can only buy 2 bullet weights.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
woodperson said:
It is hard to get much lower on the rear sight. And be careful, you can get the end of the sight screw into the cylinder pretty easily. I have a fake turn line there on mine. I have not filed anything on the frame. But I filed the ears and notch of the sight. Did not do much but mess it up. One way to bring it on target is to work with the loads. Somewhere between Trail Boss and Lill Gun there is probably a load that will get it in the adjustment range for the sights. Except perhaps in the .41 mag where you can only buy 2 bullet weights.
On .41 bullets, beside 170 gr 210 gr. Missouri Cast Bullets has 215 gr 225 gr bullets. I use all 4 in my .41 BH.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You did exactly right.

You can even keep filing the bottom of the trough a little deeper.

Or drill the 2 spring seat dimples a little deeper if the springs are fully compressed.

Another trick is filing down the top edge of the rear sight leaf and touch up with cold blue.

gssp

Bearcat
Near the Mouth of Hobble Creek Canyon, Utah
Actually, since I lost one of the two rear sight springs, I called Ruger and they are sending me some replacement springs AND a new, taller front sight.....for freeee!

Let you know how the new front sight works out once it gets here.

Alan