Misaligned grip frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

48off

Bearcat
I have a SBH with a misaligned grip frame, sticks out about .005 on left side, recessed same amount on right side. Lines up perfectly with screws removed, ends up misaligned the same with screws in place. On close examination, holes in gf are off center. Has anyone tried reducing the diameter of the screw heads to compensate for this? I realize it would take .010 reduction in head diameter to make this work and that's quite abit. Thanks

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Tell us more about this SBH. Old , new , second hand or purchased new ?
The screw shank is also a close fit to the hole in the grip frame. Reducing the head diameter won't fix the issue. Sounds like a new grip frame needs to be fitted.
If it came from Ruger that way , they will fix it. They fixed a factory defect for me on a 12 year old gun that I bought second hand , and did it for free.

48off

Bearcat
It's a secondhand new model and you are right about reducing the head diameter not being the answer. The screws heads are tapered like a pan head so they are self centering in the gf. I'm thinking a Hunter gf is in it's future, don't like the square trigger guard banging my knuckle. Thanks for the reply.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Send back to Ruger for free repair and free shipping. Then you'll have a good grip frame to sell or trade for a Hunter grip frame.

If the holes in the main frame are drilled off, it's a bigger problem. But if you install a new Hunter grip frame, it comes rough cast with plenty of excess width to fit your main frame and align the screw holes.

You could ask Ruger if they'll replace it with a Hunter grip frame, but I don't think they will. But to ask the question is free.

DHD

Single-Sixer
Good advice about sending it back and letting them fit another grip frame. Then by all means buy a Hunter frame and fit it then sell the "good" frame. My SBH is a 4 5/8" so it has the rounded trigger guard. Some like the dragoon style trigger guard but I'm no fan.

I'm no machinist but I'm patient with a good file. It takes some time, but after having fitted a grip frame purchased from either Midway or Brownells, I ain't scared to do it again. I found smoothing/sanding around the trigger guard more of a pain than filing the sides. Get another set of screws for when you finish it up. You'll be taking the original one's in and out many times during the fun! You may already know all of the last so not stepping on toes intentionally.

Meant to add that Ruger uses some hard stainless steel! The blued frames cut like butter, but you won't have to worry too much about over filing a stainless part!

48off

Bearcat
Thanks for the good advice guys. Does anyone know if elongated gf assembly srews are still available? Sure would make fitting the Hunter easier and less chance of screwdriver mishaps. I envision fitting the new gf will require numerous on and offs. Seems like someone used to have them for sale on this forum.

G2

Hunter
Here are the screws you seek.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=117858&hilit=Assembly+screws

Consider this, I run into this same problem, over the years I have noted that not ALL screws are the same,,, if I get a screw "pushing" the grip frame one way or the other, I simply use that screw in another location, most times I can get the combo to work. This "combo" also includes which way, sequence, I tighten the screws.

I also have been known to use a "new" screw or two. :wink:

My wife had bought me a new New Model Blackhawk in 45 colt that had a horrible grip frame fit.
It was off set .020 to the cylinder frame on the bottom and the upper ears were almost .030 above
the cylinder frame. I wrote note to the CEO Mr. Killoy and three days later I got a call from a very
lady from the New Hampshire plant to notify me that they wanted my gun back to look at it.

They sent me a prepaid shipping label and shipping box, I filled out their paper work and had expressed that
I wished they offered the Blackhawks with the steel grip frame option. And low and behold it came back with
a perfectly fitted steel grip frame and a set of perfectly fitted Rosewood grips.

Sorry for the long post, but I would contact Ruger and see what they would do for you.

Hondo44,

It was an outcome I would have never dreamed of.
Especially since my email to the CEO was only to express
that I was disappointed in how the grip frame fit to the cylinder frame.

There was nothing mechanically wrong with the gun, I wasn't after any
kind work to be done. But they sure treated me very good.