ruger super bh screw on front sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

olskool

Bearcat
is there a front sight that can be installed easily by drilling and tapping the barrel and attaching with a screw on my super blackhawk? I have one I am interested in cutting. or maybe it would be better to send it to a good smith. I had one years ago cut and a front sight installed by a gunsmith friend of mine but he is no longer around and I got rid of the gun and do not remember what he done but it was good work. I have looked all over the net. and can't find anything satisfactory. any help will be apprecheated.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I have a 10.5" Super BH, Stainless Steel and it has a screwed on front sight. Order one from Ruger. Ask for the Target front sight for Stainless. That would work for you

daveg.inkc

Hunter
No, blue revolvers are silver soldered in place. There is a locating pin on the blue barrels, then solder. That's one advantage to Stainless Rugers, front sights are roll pinned. But, you could aquire the sight from Ruger, have gunsmith modify it. or , buy or trade for SS model.

G2

Hunter
This is the sight body from the 10.5" stainless SBH, attached by single screw, they are blued steel. Ruger sells em. :wink:

SBH Sight Body used in custom build Single Seven 327M.

413078573.jpg

G2

Hunter
I don't recall, but I did use the screw that was with the single seven and there either 40 or 48 IIRC, but it really doesn't matter ,,,

:idea: just order the screw at the same time, when it arrives you will know :idea:

I would check for you but I'm up on the mountain for the holiday weekend (family reunion.)
I changed the Single Seven out because i didn't care for the new aluminum one, plus I like the Hawks Beak.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
There are 5 different sizes and part numbers with these sights. Mine is SXR-36 .425" x .125" width. 4 are at .125" wide and the SMR-36 is .366" high and blade width of .100" Front sight screw part # is XR07600 I am not sure on thread pitch.
emJRhPSl.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You'll need 6 x 40 taps, starter and bottoming. I prefer gun taps (two flutes).

It's a good size tap to have around since it's also the same size as all the grip frame screws and the grip screw.

I've cut several SBHs from 7 1/2" to 5" and 4 5/8" and use the original height ramp sight. In fact the original ramp sight. Just heat the stub and remove the sight, then drill and countersink. They're silver brazed on so it takes some real heat to remove them.

If you buy a blued sight that's normally silver soldered on like all SBH barrel lengths except the 10 1/2", it comes in the white and still must be drilled and re-blued. So might as well just use the original sight.

I'd be afraid if you use the 10 1/2" sight, you might not have enough downward adj in the rear sight to keep it from shooting too high. Although apparently G2 and daveg.inkc didn't have that problem. Plus the hook sight loves to tear up holsters.

Ruger will send you the screw for free, likely the sight as well.