Single Seven 327 Issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
I've been shooting Federal AE 327 in my Single Seven and am having an issue of fired brass from one chamber dragging on the inside of the frame loading port when I eject it. Brass from all the other chambers eject fine. I don't know if I have a mis-cut chamber or a port that needs more clearance. It occurs to me to mark the problem chamber and see if it throws a shot wider than the others. I figure I'll be sending it back to Ruger, but should I test the accuracy of the chamber first?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes test the chamber accuracy. But I doubt the chamber is the problem.

The cyl hand controls the location of the chamber When you roll the cyl back against the hand after it clicks. It contacts one of the ratchet teeth on the back of the cyl.

If the case rim rubs on the bottom of the loading port you have one tooth that's too fat. It makes the hand push that chamber too far before it clicks. Take a little off the tooth surface where the hand contacts it with a small file. Very simple.

Or just take a Dremel tool and relieve the loading port slightly where the case rim rubs.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ruger is still "correcting" the Single Seven guns. I believe they had issues but were rushed into shipping due to the distributor's contract (the first shipments were a pre-paid order) terms. Conversations locally support that perspective. Loading/unloading; timing; barrel quality are among the top issues reported at test - but they shipped anyway. Some cylinders were reported as having ovaled/out-of-diameter charge holes.
- My S7 guns both had sharp edges all over. I drew blood on the edges of the hammer slot and the edge on the EH was like a knife blade. Not-to-mention the grip fit showed very proud metal everywhere. Looked like a guy wearing a borrowed suit. :roll:

I say send it back and demand they make it right. Explain thoroughly what issues you are having, and what ammo you use most frequently.

You can sit around and Dremel away on a new gun all day and night, however this is an American product in 2017.

We pay good money for a high-quality weapon these days, and we deserve to be able to trust a new gun to be safe and finished when we open the box.

Shaggy357

Bearcat
To clarify, you are ejecting spent brass, and the piece of brass coming out of one of the seven chambers rubs against the frame? IF this is the case, and if this were mine, it would be headed back to Ruger ASAP. Mark the chamber, and ensure at least 5 random brass all rub.

If your cylinder is off that bad, that chamber may not align with the barrel. That can cause excess erosion in the forcing cone and can spray lead from the barrel cylinder gap. If the bullet is not entering the barrel straight, there is no telling how far off it will be by the time it exits the barrel.

Send it back. Not a dremel and file repair.

My $.02

Steve

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
I got a new Single Seven in 2014. I let it set in the safe until a few months ago. I could load it, but the only way I could get them out was to take the cylinder out. The grip frame was also oversize for the grips. I called Ruger and they said it was over 2 years old and it was out of warranty. I asked to talk to her supervisor and she put me on hold for a minute and came back and said they would send me a prepaid shipping cartons for it and a stainless Blackhawk 357 that I purchased about the same time that also had a oversize grip frame. The grip frames are not perfect, but they are a lot better.
Ron

DGW1949

Hunter
As far back as I can remember, Ruger has never offered a warranty. And the last time I looked (which was about 3 years ago), they still don't...written, verbal, or otherwise. What they have instead is a long standing, 'good faith' type of outlook (policy?) relative to taking care of their customers.
In other words, contrary to the 'lifetime warranty' and/or 'heck, Ruger will fix anything/everything for free' type of assumptions which many have come to accept as gospel...the fact of the matter is that the what's, if's, when's and why's of whether or not they agree to fix something has always been purty-much optional on their part.

Not saying that the OP does not have a legitimate problem which Ruger should take of, because he probably does and they probably will. All I'm saying is that that as far as having a conventional warranty goes, I've yet to buy a Ruger which came with one...and I've been buying 'em for a long time.

DGW

Hondo44

Hawkeye
What DGW said.

Ruger has no guarantee or warranty policy, spoken or unspoken.

What they do have is good old fashion protocol; ethics, positive customer attitude, and conscientiousness: "We stand behind the stuff we make and sell, period!"
Including shipping both ways.

And based on some of the oldest of their guns they've fixed or replaced for free, it's lifetime, not yours, their guns, which is like saying forever!