Bisley to Hunter grip frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

xtratoy

Buckeye
If I swap my Bisley frame to a hunter frame what besides the grip frame and hammer needs to be changed? Do I need different top rear screws? Do I need to swap trigger for a super blackhawk trigger? Does anyone have a picture showing the difference between a Ruger Bisley grip frame and a Huntington modified Bisley frame. My Knuckle of my middle finger is right up against the trigger guard with the stock Bisley grip.

Enigma

Hunter
No expert here, but I'm pretty certain you'll have to swap to a standard Blackhawk (or Super) trigger. The Bisley trigger is shaped differently than a standard BH trigger. Here's a pic of a Huntington-modified Bisley: http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/Picture011.jpg

xtratoy

Buckeye
I wonder if the extra room is created by cutting and welding or accomplished by just grinding on the grip frame. Maybe a bit of both?

G2

Hunter
Grip frame, hammer, trigger & the B screws, for a "straight" forward swap.

The hump can be removed from the bisley hammer if you want a bisley hammer, a custom modification that is often performed.

A Super, Montado, or standard Blackhawk hammer, as desired.

The "B" back side screws don't have to be swapped, only difference is the hex head vs the slot head.

The Bisley trigger can be used with modifications, the trigger is slightly more curved and a little longer than a standard trigger. If one wants these characteristics then either the hole in the grip frame needs to be lengthened or the body of the trigger needs to be shortened. FWIW, I have done trigger shortening, IMO, it's ok, and worked out on the custom build, however really see no reason for it. As for opening up the Grip Frame, I have seen this performed and asked myself,,, WHY? :roll:
My suggestion here is just buy a standard trigger, it's easy, cheap & works.
Sell the pulled Bisley Trigger with the Bisley Grip frame.

The "Huntington" Bisley modification has been discussed with a tracing of the difference between the original vs modified grip frame, it is ever so slight with the consensus being it is removed material from the grip frame, back of the trigger guard and grip panels re-fit.

xtratoy

Buckeye
Great info! It would be nice to see a tracing of the two to compare like the one with the different Ruger grip frames traced with different colors to differentiate between them.by

Hondo44

Hawkeye
1. The top 2 back strap will need replacing, they won't fit the holes and look funny.

2. Do you have a New Vaq or Flat Top Blackhawk? You'll have to copy add a slight divot in the Bisley frame over onto the Hunter frame for the ruger free spin pawl.

3. I like the Bisley trigger in all grip frames. Are you able to make slight modifications to retain it or just buy a standard trigger (which are all the same regardless of model)?

4. THE BISLEY GRIP & KNUCKLE SPACE BEHIND TRIGGER GUARD:

The Bisley grip measures .177" (almost 3/16") closer to the trigger guard than the standard XR3-RED size (aluminum and steel). Because the Bisley trigger guard is larger, therefore closer to the grip frame, it gives the Bisley the absolute least space of any Ruger grip frame. Even closer than the old 'knuckle busting' XR3 size plow handle grip frame! The SBH/Hunter plow handle large grip frames have the most of any Ruger grip frames, and the round guard Hunter has the least chance of rapping the knuckle under recoil.

SBH Hunter dragoon style grip frame with round trigger guard in stainless:

medium800.jpg

There's an increased difference (~3/16") in horizontal finger distance behind the trigger guard on the Hunter, compared to the Bisley grip with less space. The Hunter and Bisley GFs I've measured are actually very close in vertical forestrap length space for fingers to the butt. The Bisley is longer on the backstrap which I think is why some may prefer it, but it also restricts 'roll up' to dissipate recoil.

The Bisley Grip puts more absorption of the recoil in your hand and arm and less of the impact is dissipated by the 'roll up' of the gun in the hand.

A Bisley is similar to shooting a S&W DA 44 Mag compared to a Ruger 44 Mag SA plow handle. The Smith grip hurts more.

Here's a good illustration making obvious the difference in knuckle space between the Bisley and Hunter grip frames: http://www.dustinlinebaugh.com/gallery_009.htm

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have added a hunter grip frame to my 7.5" 45 colt Ruger Blackhawk and really like it. I gain some clearance on the Bisley grip frame with the stocks off and am now thinking about blending the stocks down to thin them where they come into the front of the grip frame. It seems like that will get my knuckle around the grip more and give me more room. I sanded the front edges of the stocks some and gained some real estate between my knuckle and trigger guard. It might be enough but won't know for sure until I shoot it.

xtratoy

Buckeye
Any of you guys that have a Bisley grip with a Huntington type mod care to take a pic of the frame without the grips on to show how thin the section that is relieved is?

xtratoy

Buckeye
Thanks, I started the process of reforming my grip frame earlier today but had to stop to go to a birthday dinner. I plan on doing the lower rear as shown in the above pic too. The hardest part will be the finish sanding to a even radius.

xtratoy

Buckeye
Difference between re-contoured grip frame of 480 and factory 41 Mag. Even though I gained space between trigger guard and front of grip my knuckle still seems to be pretty close to trigger guard. I guess my hand and the Bisley grip frame just isn't as compatible as other peoples are. I may do this to the 41 Mag grip frame but would want to find some better sanding drum sleeves than in the kit from Harbor Freight. I looked for Blue Zirconia drum sleeves but haven't located any yet. I have some finish fitting left to do then call it done. If it still raps my knuckle it will get a SBH Hunter grip frame.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/pz66eeo7p/]

xtratoy

Buckeye
I got out to try the grip modification. Shooting a 400 grain lead bullet with a max load of Longshot I only hit my knuckle once and that was was while resting forearms on roof of car shooting at an uphill target at about a 45 degree angle. Otherwise it was good. I still think I like the roll you get from the plow handle grip more so than the slam into the palm of the Bisley. The Bisley recoil reminds me of the recoil I had with my Thompson Contender with the 444 Marlin chambering and their Muzzle Tamer compensator. It would drive straight back like a battering ram. :shock:

xtratoy

Buckeye
Difference between re-contoured grip frame of 480 and factory 41 Mag. Even though I gained space between trigger guard and front of grip my knuckle still seems to be pretty close to trigger guard. I guess my hand and the Bisley grip frame just isn't as compatible as other peoples are. I may do this to the 41 Mag grip frame but would want to find some better sanding drum sleeves than in the kit from Harbor Freight. I looked for Blue Zirconia drum sleeves but haven't located any yet. I have some finish fitting left to do then call it done. If it still raps my knuckle it will get a SBH Hunter grip frame.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/pz66eeo7p/]
Pictures disappeared thanks to photobucket.

Attachments

• 20230819_081421.jpg
    20230819_081421.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230819_081511.jpg
    20230819_081511.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 36