Rear Sight Blade Replacement Super Blackhawk ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Drawing a total blank. I have replaced sight blades on Rugers before. Getting ready to change another one out. Don't know where to begin. So before I break something or launch something across the basement I better ask. I am thinking there was a spring in there. Maybe move blade all the way right then catch the spring with a pick pull the spring left to release the blade. Thanks for any help.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Take the adjusting screw all the way out, the blade will stay there. Then as you maneuver the blade and lift it out keep the hole where you took the screw out covered with your finger or I guess a piece of tape would work. The spring doesn't usually fly out and many times just stays in there. If the spring stays in there you can remove it with a paperclip.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,, there is a spring in the screw channel to put tension on the blade. Some rear sights have a tiny notch in the base top, that is to allow the dimple on the blade to be removed only in that spot. Align the two & remove the blade out the top. Re-installing a blade requires a tiny flat tool of your choice to depress the spring & allow the pointed leg of the blade to get into the center of the spring. Brownells makes a tool, it's small ended,,, 1/2 moon shaped, with a tip that fits into the center of the spring. A flat jewelers screwdriver will work as well.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Contender is correct. I use gas tip cleaners to depress small spring. You have to depress to get new blade in. I had to call Ruger for new springs. I changed a dozen of mine to the One Ragged Hole sights. And I did lose a spring or 3. They slip and fly. Very small

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I had no trouble. Blade did indeed have a notch that needed to be lined up with the dimple. Amazingly took all of ten seconds to pop the old one out and another ten to put the new one in and did not even launch the spring.

I guess that makes up for the 45 minutes of swearing it took to reassemble the gun prior to changing the sight. Just was one of those times when nothing worked and I just kept dropping something or having something jump out of place.

contender

Ruger Guru
Don'tcha hate it when everything you try & work on that's simple seems to go to pot? Only to have a potential problem thing go so smooth??? Murphy at work! :D

Glad you got it fixed!