Ruger No 1 Rebarrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Livethunt

Bearcat
Wondering if Ruger No 1 204 or 223 can be rebarrel to a 17 hornet without any issues with the exactor.

RSIno1

Hunter
The Hornet is a rimmed cartridge if I remember. Probably you'd end up with whatever extrtactor they use for the 22LR conversions.

Livethunt

Bearcat
Thanks, I'm looking at a 17 Hornady Hornet which is the same rim as a 22 Hornet. So doesn't Ruger us the same extractor as the 223 Remington as on the 22 Hornet?

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
The 17HH has a rim diameter of .350" and the 223Rem has a rim diameter of .378". Probably will need to replace the bolt in order to do this conversion, but a qualified gunsmith can give you more information. I have had conversions done when the rim diameter differs by 2 or 3 thousandths of an inch but not as much as yours will need.

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
The ejector for the 0.378" cartridges is used for the 22 hornet. So if your donor is a rifle of this type, you are 10 bucks ahead. Ejectors are still available for most chamberings if so needed.

As you know, the No.1 has a breechblock that is a flat surface over the cartridge head when in battery. The rim depth of the hornet case is less than the depth of the barrel cut for the ejector.

I have a No.1 in 17 KHornet that uses said ejector. The 22 rimfire conversion requires a lengthing of the hook of the ejector even over the length of the factory hornet ejector to reach most rimfire cases.

Livethunt

Bearcat
Thanks Single-sixer for the info. Got a No 1 in 218 bee and No 3 in a 22 Hornet but want to build a 17 Hornay Hornet and know I'll have better luck finding a 204 or 223 then I will find a 22 hornet No 1

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
One might note, that a Ruger No.1 action............is a No.1 action. The only difference in the action parts, is the ejector per caliber. ejectors are available from Ruger, Brownells, GunParts, etc for about 10 bucks for your chosen caliber. Since you are going to a 17, which Ruger has not done a No.1 yet in, one might choose a rifle with the idea in mind that the oem barrel and perhaps ejector will be chunked. Find you a rifle that the wood suits..........type of forearm for your new barrel profile choice, figure if so wanted.

No.1B barrel.............Shilen #4 taper can fit the oem 1B forearm wood

No.1A barrel..............Shilen #2 taper can fit the oem 1A forearm wood

If you buy a 458 winchester no.1, the forearm channel will be large, and to be reused with a smaller barrel.........filled. Always nicer to remove wood than to add in oem furniture.

Note that barrel diameter is somewhat limited by the hanger adjacent to the receiver face.

Note that the above Shilen tapers will fit the respective wood with some common sense in shank placement...

of course, if restocking............the sky is the limit with semi inlets or pure custom wood sets.

Best of luck, I think you will find the 17's endearing,

Roof