Will Ruger re-polish a stainless Single Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Flyrod

Bearcat
Please forgive this question if it has been answered here a hundred times before -

I picked up a pre-warning stainless Single Six at a great price today. Mechanically it is tighter than most, and the fit of the grip frame to cylinder frame is perfect; it was really well put together. But, it is covered in little scratches and dings, nothing deep, like it bounced around in a box of nails for a while.

I know Ruger will reblue revolvers for a reasonable fee; my question is, will they re-polish a stainless steel revolver? Has anyone here had this done by Ruger, and were you satisfied with the result?

Thanks in advance for any information -

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually,,, I don't recall this question.

First,, a call to Ruger would answer your question.

However,,, many folks here polish their own stainless guns using ScotchBrite pads. Some,,, so much as to remove the billboard warning off them.

call them and ask,. last I recall maybe it was S&W ,they wanted $75 to repolish their stainless revolvers, AND you had to pay shipping back and forth....hhhmmmm can get costly, thus any good gunsmith or service shop can do this quite easily and as Ty noted even easier ,simpler , quicker, to do it your self with a couple of 3M Scotchbrite pads...take you time and practice...........you may find it on You Tube, every thing else is on there, ( I 've never watched that yet.....) tough enough for me to even spell 'P' 'C'............... :roll: :wink:
Heck if you lived nearby, I could have got 'er done already for you....... 8)

Flyrod

Bearcat
Thank you for the responses. I never imagined a ScotchBrite pad would be aggressive enough, but I'll check out youtube and play around with that approach on a non-critical surface. But that's after I call Ruger to see what they say (I don't have a lot of spare time these days - would rather be shooting than polishing). Unfortunately I don't know of a good 'smith close by.

Regards,
Flyrod

Byrd

Bearcat
Just last month I bought a used SP101 that had been over polished, rounded edges and some dishing. I got it cheap and was gone to use it as a beater because it was otherwise excellent condition.

It did bug me so I called Ruger and explained the situation and they said send it in. They paid shipping both ways, repolished the revolver at no cost to me!

It looks brand new and I'm happy to sign the praise of Ruger customer service!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
To clarify I understand they will refinish a brushed finish on SS but I tried to get them to restore a hi-polish Vaqero revolver a few years back.
The response was that was a "distributor-finished" gun and I would need to contact the distributor that sold it. Ruger would only refinish it to an original brushed-stainless condition, and no amount of money offered swayed them to do any "custom work".

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Easy enough, I did my Montado.

New Vaquero .45 Colt Montado with contoured trigger web, Blackhawk standard hammer, Colt ER button, Sambar stag and repolish:
medium800.jpg

orig.jpg

Acorn

Buckeye
You can do it yourself. I bought an abused SS SBH. Lots of dings and a ERH with nicks all around the muzzle end. Some judicious filing and a gray scotchbrite pad and it looks great. I also scored a deal on a 2-1/2" S&W Mod. 66-1. It looked to me to be crusted with dirt around the left grip panel(Pachmayr's). I was so exited at the price that I didn't give it a thorough inspection. When I got it home and removed the Pachs the "dirt" was really pitting. Not real deep but pitting none the less. Not a big concern for a work gun but it bugged me. After inquiring around on the S&W forum I bought an assortment of wet or dry sandpaper and using a paint stirrer for backing I sanded/polished the pits out. I did miss one tiny little mark that is still there but it's only noticeable because I know it's there. The biggest part of it was overcoming the fear and start scratching up one of my babies. I personally am on the lookout for bargain priced SS revolvers. My next project is a S&W Model 64 that is in really excellent condition except for the matte finish on the top strap. There are numerous scars. Once I get up the courage I am going to polish the top strap to even the surface out and have at it with my spot sand blaster at reduced air pressure. The unknown factor here is that I've never done this before, so it is foreign territory to me. SS is really forgiving if you work slow and careful. Of course I don't know the condition of your gun but unless it's bad an hours work should spiff it right up.

Latest posts