Quick - is my frame sprung?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
Check out this picture... what is that ruffled area above the firing pin hole? For the life of my I never noticed it before.

I would appreciate your help as I intended to have this one one my hip this week.

Bg1C67h.jpg

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
That looks like a shrink void in the casting. If I could probe it , any at all, with a needle point it would be heading off to Ruger as soon as possible.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Chuck 100 yd said:
That looks like a shrink void in the casting. If I could probe it , any at all, with a needle point it would be heading off to Ruger as soon as possible.

I agree. Looks like it's propagating a crack.

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
I appreciate the responses folks. I thought it was a crack as well, but crud wins the day.

I'll remember to hit that spot well with a brush and keep an eye on the spot. I don't have my tools on me but I rubbed it with some pointy cardboard and a paper towel and cleaned it up a little. Still has a way to go..

QS96cmp.jpg

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
Haha Jimbo, yeah it does look like that. But check out the first pic... I dented the built up crud and it looked like part of the frame. You know you need a brush when you start denting your debris.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
eric conrad said:
Looks like the rear sight height adjustment screw to me. See if you can turn it down. If you go to far the screw will leave a ring on the Cyl.
Eric
Yeah, looks like a sight screw sticking through the frame a little. That should be easy to check. :D

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
It was just crud ladies and gents... probably congealed bullet lube and carbon that looked like my frame. ALl good now.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Eric and Jimbo nailed it.

The hole for the sight elevation screw is drilled and tapped all the way thru the top strap. Ruger has made it like that since the beginning.

But I've never seen one that could be tightened down far enough to scratch the cyl if the sight is installed.

Enigma

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
Eric and Jimbo nailed it.

The hole for the sight elevation screw is drilled and tapped all the way thru the top strap. Ruger has made it like that since the beginning.

But I've never seen one that could be tightened down far enough to scratch the cyl if the sight is installed.

I've seen it happen with Bowen's Rough Country rear sight, but never a factory rear sight.

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
The original pic doesn't have much to do with the rear sight. If you look close, I was referring to what appeared to be a horizontal crack and gauge in the frame right at the L curve where the top strap meets the area above the firing pin. But the crack was just a split in the accumulated gunk there. The hole is not an issue, although it may have contributed to the funny look of the gunk. It is receded into the top strap by 1mm.

Once the gunk was cleaned and the screw hole was visible it was looking good again. The second pic was moving towards resolution. That was not an area that I had focused on much when cleaning and it was looking pretty gnarly. I'm not worried about the hole... it was all the ripples in the gunk that threw me for a loop. The carbon had colored just enough to look like part of the frame.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.
May I suggest Hoppe's and a bronze brush? It works great around the forcing cone also. :D

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I have a OM that the sight screw hits the cylinder on and a scratch line because I did not know it. On a gun refinished by Ruger. I need a shim under the sight arm to keep it from going down that far.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Nh Rugerman said:
mohavesam said:
Panthera Tigris said:
I was just gonna use some crest and my electric toothbrush...

+1. A seasoned gunsmith approach.
BTW, IHC will cure further erosion forever if you ever consider a re-finish.
Seriously??

Crest? Please enlighten me, I am just an ignorant man...

Thanks

Any toothpaste makes a great fine polish. The elec toothbrush takes some of the elbow grease out of it.

Acorn

Buckeye
Panthera Tigris said:
I was just gonna use some crest and my electric toothbrush...

Ha Ha! Reminds me of a funny story. My sister had a heck of a time getting my nephew potty trained. He was constantly having accidents and no matter how much scolding she gave him he kept doing it. We he must of got tired of the ear beating he was getting because one day my sister caught him scrubbing his dirty drawers with my brother in laws toothbrush. No telling how long he'd been doing it!