Installing Millett Series 100 sight on P85 MkII

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Elric

Bearcat
Ow, ow, ow, ow....

Removing the Ruger P85 MkII rear sight was the easy part. Whip out a 1/16th inch allen wrench, back the lock screw out, then drift it out right to left.

There is a small coil spring in there (firing pin block spring), but thankfully not under too much tension. It is held in with the rear sight.

From the Millett instructions:
"After clearing the lock screws, if excessive force is required to tap in the sight, remove some of the metal from the base of the sight by sliding the sight across a piece of emery paper."

They aren't lying. It can be so tight that even a 3lb hammer won't drive it home...

Now for some judicious emery cloth use on the base. After the second or third whack on the thumb joint, reading the instructions seemed like a darned good ideal....

OK, the material removal showed the base is high around the edges, dished in towards the center... As I got closer, I test fit the sight, placing the firing pin block spring in my pocket... Time comes to stitch everything up, I reach in my pocket, and find it has ripped out... Cleaned up the floor between the two work areas.

Just called Ruger out in AZ. Gunparts does not have any (525130D). BUT.. Supposedly there is an SR9 spring which may work.

Original manual P85 MkII KQ05600, firing pin block spring. SR9C KVS05601 (Striker Blocker Spring), and it might/should fit as well. Numrich has SKU: 1388260 Striker Blocker Spring in stock...

?? SR22 schematic - firing pin blocker (AX02110) ??

"Item number 44 in the exploded view from the manual is the firing pin blocker, which includes the spring. The spring is not a separate part nor is it shown in any exploded view diagram. You'll need to order part number AX02110. You'll get a new blocker AND a new spring."

UPDATE: Ordered two SKU: 1388260 from Numrich. We'll see...

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/Cast_Bullet/Vault/Ruger_P85_MkII_Millet_100.html

Elric

Bearcat
UPDATE: Ordered two SKU: 1388260 from Numrich.

Finally staggered downstairs with a pair of 1388260, and took off at a full stop...

Does not begin to fit inside the hole.

P85 Mk II firing pin block has a 3/32d hole (2.4mm), the OD of the 1388260 is .111

I assume the length is not overly critical, but the 1388260 are @ .445 long.

Wire diameter of the spring is @ .014 inch.

Snap. I had hoped the urban legend was real... Busted....

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Well,,,, I hate to hear of your troubles. I can offer to dig into my spare parts box,,, of P Series stuff,,, to see IF,,, IF,,, I have one of those springs. (I bought an Armorers repair kit years ago.)

Elric

Bearcat
Long hiatus. Lots of distracting things...

Got my ten pack of Brownells 3/32 Detent Ball Spring, PKG 20 080-820-093 http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/small-hardware/bulk-spring-kits/3-32-2-4mm-detent-ball-spring-refill-pak-sku080820093-919-3401.aspx?sku=080-820-093 in front of me. It would have been slightly better if I could have bought two (one to use, one to loose), but you can only get them in a kit or a refill pak.

Stagger upstairs for my dyke cutters.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/Cast_Bullet/Vault/Ruger_P85_MkII_Millet_100.html

Not updated, yet. Note the block spring extends above the block about 4 to 5 coils.... Since I did not measure the original (why should I?) it will be a simple matter of sticking the replacement spring in and cutting off everything past 5 coils....

Also, it seems apparent now that the Millett Series 100 for the P85 was possibly for an earlier version than the Mark II, that did not have such a heroic milled-out port for the firing pin block, so the original width was correct at that time...

Elric

Bearcat
Because this is 'Murica I just ordered a few 1/16 machine screw drills with 135 degree tips... Because I can... :D

Got to drop the original dot front and stick in the orange bar... drill for both pins and it will be done... Love to finally use those four MecGar mags I bought probably 4 months ago...

And a little diddling on the P95 trigger, though I had thought of measuring the radius on the P85 trigger for the swinging link... until I had the brilliant realization that the swing link has a round OD.... Wanted to use my Mitutoyo radius set.... sigh... :(

Elric said:
UPDATE: Ordered two SKU: 1388260 from Numrich.

Finally staggered downstairs with a pair of 1388260, and took off at a full stop...

Does not begin to fit inside the hole.

P85 Mk II firing pin block has a 3/32d hole (2.4mm), the OD of the 1388260 is .111

I assume the length is not overly critical, but the 1388260 are @ .445 long.

Wire diameter of the spring is @ .014 inch.

Snap. I had hoped the urban legend was real... Busted....

Welcome to the wonderful world of Numrich parts.