NM BLACKHAWK hammer Help?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bedrockfred

Blackhawk
Hi, can a hammer thumb spur be lowered (bent down) to more like the shape of a super blackhawk hammer with heat? Anyone done this?___bedrockfred

since firearms were designed, built and used, gunsmiths ( and simple folk) have be "altering" the size ,shape of any and ALL "parts" as "needed"....many of todays 'custom guys are "artists" in metal work, so with a bit of knowledge, training ( welding?) whatever,ANYTHING can be done, enough time & money is the limit...............
we've seen MORE today than ever before, as the cowboy and quick draw shooters have altered about EVERY single action fiream we see them carry and use today...as well as calibers, and finishes :roll:

so yes, go for it use YOUR imagination...............you can always buy a 'replacement' part :wink:

something about "plowshares into swords..." and all of that 8)

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Alan Harton lowered a FA hammer spur for me.
It cost about three times what a SBH hammer would.
It involved cutting, bending and filling. You won't have much movement without a notch, and when you notch, you need to weld.
Welding on hammers in a non professional manner is tricky business. You can't heat up the sear area. A heat sink of some kind had to be used., unless you are annealing and re-heat treating the entire part.
The cost effective method to get what you describe (on a New Model Ruger) is to buy a SBH hammer & mill the wide pad to the width of the hammer body.

bedrockfred

Blackhawk
thanks for your replys, cut , notch, heat, bend, weld, grind, file, polish. all no problem! Unless ruger hammers are a cast part? and not forged metal. anyone tryed to change the shape of a Ruger hammer?__bedrockfred

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Ruger Hammers are investment cast and can be welded.
There are more than few folks who have had the top half of a NM Bisley hammer grafted to an OM hammer.
Your proposed mod is less involved.

flatgate

Hawkeye
85490282.jpg

I cut off the top section of a New Model Bisley hammer and I cut off the top section of a Old Model Blackhawk hammer. I fit and welded the New Model Bisley hammer's "top" to the OM Blackhawk hammer's " lower section.

flatgate