Tuning a Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rsmith99

Retired
I was at the range today and one of the shooters had a new Ruger Blackhawk in .357. He let me shoot it and I was very impressed with the feel of the gun as well as the accuracy. But the single action trigger pull was terrible. No creep, but very heavy.

I have tuned a few S&W revolvers, but I have never done anything to a Ruger. If I buy a Blackhawk I would like to know that the trigger pull can be reduced down to about 3.5-4 lbs.

Can anyone give me any information on tuning a Ruger? Not specifics, I'll get the books and videos for that. Just in general.

Thanks!
Ron

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The one thing you can do that will make a big difference in the trigger pull is to adjust the trigger return spring. This is easy to do and does not involve tinkering with the internals.

http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html

contender

Ruger Guru
A Blackhawk can be tuned & sweetened up. I know,, as I have a bunch of them. I had a 17 yr old girl as one of my WOT clinic students today that was a real shooter. Well, I usually don't have these ladies shooting a SA revolver, (too slow & we need to keep the classes moving.) Well, this girl was drilling the target,, so I let her try a few different things. I whipped out a Flattop 357 Om, that is just smooth from shooting. She fell in love with it. She wants one now!

SAJohn

Hunter
If you can do trigger work on S&W's, you will find that Blackhawks (old or new models) are a piece of cake. With old models just polishing the sear surfaces will usually get you below 3 pounds. The same with new models but you need to also do a bit of work on the trigger return spring.

Latest posts