Shimmin a GP100s trigger & hammer.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GP100man

Buckeye
First a public apoligy to Lance who sent me 2 sets of shims to use in July .& yes it`s a plug for his excellent shims !!!

Not gonna bore ya with tear down inst. as ya should have it down pat if ya thinkin of shims! & the trigger group should look like this

102_0702.jpg

Cleaned,dried . notice the nice round shims ??? very nice indeed!!Also look at the yellow punch ,this area of the trigger group is finished very ruff (as it dropped from the mold)clean it up a bit but remove as little metal as possible ,just make sure it`s flat as no matter of smoothness (with the shims)

Now make sure when you insert the trigger shims there`s at least .003" clearance & that the trigger movement is absolutely free!!

Be careful as a .003 shim is sharp !! & I use non serrated foreceps to insert em.

102_0706.jpg

Lube all plungers ,I like tetra grease ,it does`nt run when hot or stik when cold . Oil all the rest lightly & assemble the rest of the trigger asm & install it .

Inserting the hammer shims can be triky ,I use a cut square feeler gage to push em into place enuff to line em up to insert the pin.

102_0707.jpg

Now for those not wishing to disassemble the trigger group.
Ya can carefully push the pin out enuff to slide the shims in just make certain ya trigger is`nt binding (best if ya check the pull after the hammer is removed ,both before shimmin & after)

BE WARNED if you push the trigger pin out & it comes apart PARTS WILL BE EJECTED in three directions .

So please use an apropriate punch so it`ll be held in alignment if ya push it too far ,1/16" will work.

BE SAFE !!!! WEAR EM!!!

contender

Ruger Guru
Lance was kind enough to send me some of his EXCELLENT shims for a NM Blackhawk.
To answer mattsbox99's question; Shims are for reducing the side to side play in the hammer & trigger assy. If you get ahold of a production gun, you can "wiggle" the hammers and triggers from side to side. THe shims help tighten up the action. I did my 327 maggie and it's sweet now!

Excellent pics of installing a set in the DA.

GP100man

Buckeye
It makes trigger pulls DA/SA alot more consistent !!

Ya need a pull gage in oz. to see it & once ya see it happen ya can feel it with ya finger !!!

Being that my hands are weaker from surgeries & author I can feel every oz. I pull nowadays !

I did`nt mention this in the OP but 1 big change a person can make as far as reduceing Trigger pull is the plunger spring for the cyl. latch , they come way to strong from the factory!!

The 1 for the pawl needs to be strong though for positive trigger reset !

All ya need is enuff so the latch won`t be lazy !!

contender

Ruger Guru
I couldn't check the pull weight of my Blackhawk before the shims were added due to my guage being sent back to Lyman. I wanted to do a "before & after" as well. But my gun is smoother feeling, and if I had a calibrated trigger finger, I'm sure it would tell me how much the shims reduced the pull.

glockman99

Single-Sixer
Be very carefull not to use too thick shims as you don't want the trigger, and especially not the hammer, to bind or slow-down, as a "slow" hammer can cause missfires. Just as is with a Colt 1911 pistol, some "slop" helps to keep the gun operating reliably.

GP100man

Buckeye
glockman99

Good reminder & absolutely agree !

OP: Now make sure when you insert the trigger shims there`s at least .003" clearance & that the trigger movement is absolutely free!!

GP

Latest posts