Ultra sonic Cleaners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
So being a little new at this cleaner thing. I was wondering how well the cleaners work. How well do they work with minimal disassembly, what type of solutions / solvents are recommended or not recommended.
Thank You all in advance for your input.

NikA

Buckeye
I have an off-brand one that I believe is the same model as one of the Hornady ones. I've used mine with Simple Green and citric acid to clean brass, and with smaller glasses of isopropyl alcohol to clean jewelry and small parts. Note that some materials (specifically I've been warned about aluminum) are not advised to put in an ultrasonic cleaner as they will be damaged by the cavitation that is responsible for much of the cleaning action.

recumbent

Buckeye
I have a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner, I clean deprimed brass with a few drops of Dawn soap and a tablespoon of Lemi Shine. Works good. I have cleaned pistol barrels and small parts on occasion.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I too have the Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner and it works great for cleaning gun parts and my magazines. I use Hornady One Shot in or or MPro-7 and really see a difference. I let my mags sit for 8 minutes and then they are clean of all the gunk that's built up in them. The liquid is just filthy.

I haven't tried it for cleaning brass. I still use my Dillon tumbler.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I have the Hornady one. It cleans brass cases wonderfully, and non-brass stuff quite well. I only use the Hornady solutions for each type of material, since the chemicals are quite inexpensive and are diluted quite a bit for use. Just try to remember that the ultrasound is doing all the work, and not the chemicals. Previously, in industry, we used commercial units which were very powerful, and we knew which chemicals work for various materials.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, for cleaning brass,, I use a wet tumble method that gets my brass shiny & new looking inside & out. (Thumbler's tumbler, water, Lemishine & SS pins.) Can't beat that system. But for gun parts I, as well as my gunsmith buddy have ultrasonic cleaners. For gun parts, & such,, as long as the chemical used isn't too harsh for the parts,, it's an excellent tool for getting gunk out of the tiny places. You just need to properly rinse & oil the parts afterwards.
Just like most things, it's a good tool when properly used, depending upon your needs.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner extensively in my gun repair business. An ultrasonic really makes cleaning a breeze, especially if the gun has been severely neglected. Find a good cleaner and have at it. It doesn't take long unless it's really bad.

I experimented when when I first got my cleaner with different solutions and looked around for a long time to find a good one that won't harm anything. I finally found what works best for me.

It is called MC Gun Cleaner from Chautauqua Metal Finishing Supply, Ashville, NY. http://cchemco.com/mc-gun-cleaner-concentrate/

It's not cheap but a little goes a long way. You mix it 1 part gun cleaner to 20 parts water. When you're done, filter it into another container and the debris will settle and you can use it again. I normally can reuse 5-10 times before I figure it's finished (depending on how dirty the guns were).

It's safe on aluminum and polymers, it's water based, biodegradable and rinses very easily.

I've had some really crudded up firearms that probably hadn't been properly cleaned in 20 or 30 years and it cleaned them completely and never hurt the finish.

As said, once the parts are out and dried, lube them correctly and you'll see a vast improvement in function.

For brass to be reloaded, I do the same as Contender, wet tumble (I have a Lyman tumbler) with water, stainless steel pins and Lemishine. It cleaners everything to like new condition, even the primer pockets.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
I finally succumbed to the purchase of an ultra-sonic cleaning tank. Nothing expensive, but it works great on those small parts that are hard to hold when cleaning is needed. I use a "green" cleaner, full strength right from the gallon jug. Stuffs called "Jungle Jake" from our local Farm & Fleet store. Only around $7.00 for a gallon, water soluble, cleans those small parts really well. Rinse in hot water, dry and spray with a good CLP. Done.