RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: lube??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:51 pm 
Hawkeye

Kept in mind that WD-40 is NOT a lubricant, it is a solvent and rust dissolver.

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.” – Theodore Roosevelt
No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:47 pm 
Single-Sixer

Fox Mike wrote:

i used regular wd-40 years ago when i first started owning guns, i no longer use it for that purpose. the stuff i bought was wd-40 silicone lube, its the same as 3 in 1 silicone lube. i have found it to be very good on my maverick 88 pump forend as its polymer and by spraying it down in there where it rides on the tube, i get a much smoother pump.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:27 pm 
Single-Sixer

Fox Mike wrote:

Quite true. Plus, the WD stands for "water displacement", particularly as it applied ('way back then) to conventional mechanical automotive distributors, which no longer appear on any modern engine. The stuff is nasty, and should disappear from the market.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:59 pm 
Hunter

clintsfolly wrote:
Many years ago I worked at a LGS and we ordered a case of GunScubber. When I opened the case it was all marked with some auto parts chain name and was non clorinated brake cleaner. We sold GunSrubber for $5.95 and they sold brake cleaner for $2.29. Guess what I buy?

Similar thing is Lucas automotive lubricants took one of their automotive products and put it in tiny bottles and labled it for use on guns and fishing reels. My auto parts store carries it. I'm betting sewing machine oil is similar too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:13 pm 
Hawkeye

Hi,

We sold all kinds of gun oil/grease products in our shop years ago. I think they all shared two qualities:

a) All seem to be advertised that "This is absolutely the finest product ever concocted by man"; and

b) I strongly believe most all of them came out of the same barrel, where their mfrs' cost is about 50 cents per quart or pound, allowing a pretty good profit when sold at prices up to around $7/oz or so. I could be wrong.

Anyway, curiosity led me to try several over the years. Yawn. Today, a can of 3 in 1 oil, and a small container of Ponsness Warren STOS in one box, and a small container of Super Lube in another (couldn't find the P-W stuff in the junk on the bench one day) do a nice job for me, and have for a long time. Add that I know from experience plain ol' Vaseline from the medicine cabinet is a good rust preventive, and it wouldn't surprise me if it also does an acceptable job in a pinch where most of us find a "gun" grease is called for!

I kinda think the important thing is less WHAT you use, and more importantly THAT you use something. Your choice. That being said, let the oil and grease wars continue!

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...