Soldering ejector shroud stud into barrel of Ruger flat top

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boise Hawkeye

Bearcat
I need to get the ejector shroud retaining stud soldered back into the barrel of my flat top 44 Ruger. I have had several gunsmiths look at it and all are hesitant to solder it for fear of discoloring the barrel. I need advice!

daveg.inkc

Hunter
any ruger said:
Call ruger they did mine !
Did Ruger solder it to repair? Or rebarrel it? I have the same problem with a 1975 Super BH. Ruger tech told me they install new barrels. I did not do it as it shoots great. Tech said it would shoot like new, but I have held off.

any ruger

Blackhawk
It was a 3 screw that had the barrel cut down. I brought it to a gunsmith in southern Mn. He had no Luck so he told me he would send it to Ruger if I was ok with that . I said ok.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ruger barrels with this threaded stud for the ER housing retaining screw to thread into, are usually referred to as studded barrels. Ruger quit using studded barrels since ~1983.

Currently Ruger replaces studded barrels with the current non-studded barrels when barrels are sent back for stud repair.

Ruger called their former stud attachments silver brazed, which tells me they used the hi temp silver solder that requires brazing temps.

For those I've resoldered, I used the newer low temp Silver solder from Brownells. Regular solder will not hold!

I use "heat fence" on blued barrels and a pinpoint heat source. Use proper silver solder flux, Tin both surfaces, clamp together, and only play the heat source on the stud. I've been able to re-solder the stud w/o blue damage most every time.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Fox Mike said:
I know I'm stupid but what exactly is an ejector shroud retaining pin? I went to the parts breakdown and see nothing there with that name.

Not stupid! The proper terminology helps: The "threaded stud" for the ER housing retaining screw to thread into that's soldered to the barrel.

Not shown on parts breakdown because it's part of the barrel "assembly", and Ruger won't sell barrels.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:
Jerry Kuhnhausen calls it a "Threaded Bushing". I thought that Colt using this in 1870's was interesting. Page 141 in his Ruger manual.

Colt still uses the stud. Over the years they've been soldered in place or crimped in place.

Tinning both surfaces before joining the two parts is more fool proof to get a full surface solder joint than relying on capillary action.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
No difference, same materials. Bushing is in hole in barrel. Front sights have a locating pin to align front sight. I know because my .41 BH had to go back to Ruger after sight came off. There was rust where solder should have been.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
daveg.inkc said:
No difference, same materials. Bushing is in hole in barrel. Front sights have a locating pin to align front sight. I know because my .41 BH had to go back to Ruger after sight came off. There was rust where solder should have been.
I kinda thought so. I have 4 SBHs, 3 with studs and 3 that where cut to 5.5" and the front sight silver soldered back on. So if I drop an ejector housing I am just going to my G/S and have him do the job. He would also reblue it or not, I can touch it up with Oxpho.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:

Ruger relies on capillary action which usually works fine. However as we've seen with some of their sights that fly off, it doesn't always work.

Latest posts