77/17 WSM conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cloudrnnr

Bearcat
Call me paranoid, but I'm concerned about the future of the 17wsm. I've been collecting the ammo, but once it is dead, there is no going back. The 77/17wsm is the Hornet action, with a different bolt. Anyone know if the conversion to 17 Hornet would be as simple as a new bolt and barrel? And if so, will Ruger even sell those parts without fitting them themselves?

DGW1949

Hunter
You can call Ruger and ask but I highly doubt that they will sell you a barrel or bolt. As to the conversion itself, your best bet there would probably be to contact a reputable gunsmith and get their input on how to best go about it.

DGW

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
DGW1949 said:
You can call Ruger and ask but I highly doubt that they will sell you a barrel or bolt. As to the conversion itself, your best bet there would probably be to contact a reputable gunsmith and get their input on how to best go about it.

DGW

+1
But they should sell those parts to your gunsmith, that's the route I would take. JMO

Best,
Terry

gtxmonte

Buckeye
You should be able to buy the bolt from Ruger. Cant see that being an issue. The barrel will be different. If it screws on, no way they will send you a chambered barrel, as that requires gunsmithing to properly set head space. So you would need aftermarket or set you current barrel back and rechamber it

But, the 17 WSM is likely not going away any time soon. I wouldn't worry about it until it happened..............if it ever does

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Barrel, Bolt head and handle, trigger, etc. require factory-fitting per Ruger and manual. They sold a 77/17WSM, now discontinued of course, so there might be parts or there might not be. I've heard they wholesaled all the two-pc bolt gun parts to resolve inventory costs, but who knows? It isn't the same 'ol Ruger these days, they're pretty quick to stop parts & servicing models once discontinued...

As for professional 77/17 work, call CPC at http://www.ct-precision.com