Not A Ruger - Not Really Gunsmith'n - But...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
I've got an Interarms blued Walther PPK. The safety/decocker swings over a circular shallow divot milled on the frame and has/had red paint? in it showing the safety is off. The "red" evidently fell out as a single piece at some point and I'd like to get "the red" back in the divot. My question is, after "de-greasing" the shallow divot, what type of paint would be best to use that would stay put on a blued surface. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Preacher

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Testers model paint works good when coloring front sights. The trick is getting all traces of oil off before painting and that is not easy. Several applications of acetone with a Q-tip should do it. Then a drop from a toothpick in the spot.

Once you degrease the "divot", take a twist drill that is the size of the divot and using your fingers use the drill to rough up the divot a little bit to give the paint something to adhere to, that should help it so it doesn't come out.

You can find Testors model paint at any hobby shop or maybe even Wal-Mart, K-Mart Target, etc.

hittman

Staff member
That Testers paint works great and they even offer it now in the brighter "neon" colors. I've used their neon orange and neon red on front sites with good results. I put a coat or two of white down first so the color pops more without being on a dark background.