Advice on Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WAYNO said:
We have seen many times, Ruger offer a new-gun replacement for obsolete guns they would not repair. I wish I could better understand "barrel separation", other than just an excuse to get your gun out of circulation.

I'm glad they took care of you.

Enjoy your new GP100. 8)

WAYNO.

+1

Gunfunco, What Ruger did for you is not an anomaly, they have done that many times in the past, not just for the Six series guns, but for just about every gun line they have produced.

I think you would find that even though you published what Ruger did for you, Ruger owners are not going to inundate them with requests to repair/replace their firearms. Ruger has a great customer service reputation and Ruger owners just don't abuse it.

I am also one, who, since I collect the Six series guns, would like to know what the "barrel separation" actually was. You don't happen to have any pictures of the gun before it was sent in do you? I would love to examine them to see what I could see. I don't doubt the Ruger tech, but the problem you first described doesn't seem to fit what Ruger found. Like WAYNO said, I also have extensive experience with the Six series and do a lot of repairs for people who are having problems with theirs. I have been in the gunsmithing business since 1989 (part time while in the USAF and while working after retiring from the AF and now full time since 2014).

I'm glad that Ruger made things right for you. The 6" GP is a great shooting gun and you will get many years of satisfaction (as will your heirs) from this revolver.

Carry_Up,
Well, I guess I have to concede to you that the GP's are a "superior"design due to being inundated by your wealth of substantiated facts that the Six series guns are inferior. I guess that's why Ruger only sold about 788,000 of them.

I really would like you to point me in the right direction to read and study the documentation of the "design" issues that the Six series guns had/have. Since I collect the Six series guns (a hobby of mine since I bought my first (a 6" Security Six) in 1974 ) I am interested in learning as much about these revolvers as I can, including all the design flaws that were found, recorded and what the remedy was. I'm very interested in learning more about the well known problem of consistent light firing pin strikes since I have NEVER encounter one. Can you help me understand this problem with documentation or citations from reliable sources?

I've talked to a number of other Six series collectors and none can verify what you claim. Please provide us with verifiable citations/facts of these design flaws and other problems with the Six series guns and I will be the first to post and say that you were right and that you proved me wrong and I will have learned something that I didn't know.

Oh, and in case you didn't realize it, Ruger still makes the Mark series, and if you were to check the internals (and the receiver/barrel assembly), I think you'd find that they are eerily similar be it a Standard model, Mark I, Mark II or a Mark III (I haven't had a chance to examine the FCG of the Mark IV yet, but I'd bet a lot of the parts look basically like the Standard Model/Mark I parts), thusly they still have parts to fix the older models.

Thanks for the forth coming information