KIDD recevier in the oven?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jon321

Bearcat
I just bought a new receiver from Tony Kidd and was wondering if sticking it in the oven at 250 degrees would warp it? He says to stick it in the oven at 250, so I did stick it in the oven but for only a few minutes then but still couldn't get the barrel in. He does not state on his video how long to keep it in there.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Put the barrel in the freezer and heat the reciever. That will make them shrink (barrel) and expand (reciever) by a couple thousandths each and should make instilation possible. Don't dalley when installing the barrel or you could be in big trouble if they seize and are not in alignment. I would not worry about warping even at 500 deg. The finish could be damaged but it wont warp.

Enigma

Hunter
If I had a question on how long to heat the receiver, I would call Kidd and ask them. Nothing like going to the source. Personally, I would expect it to take between 30-60 minutes to thoroughly heat the receiver. I'm pretty confident that if Kidd wants you to heat their receiver at 250 degrees, then that temperature won't harm it. For instance, it takes a minimum of 300 degrees for one hour to cure Gunkote, and that temperature will not harm a gun.

Yetiman

Bearcat
I have 3 Kidd receivers with Kidd barrels in them, and I haven't heated one yet. I just grease the surfaces and use one of those orange shot filled plastic mallets from Harbor freight to whack em' together after being careful to align them right at the beginning.
I hold the barrel in my hand and whack the receiver with the mallet as opposed to putting anything against a solid surface. Takes about four good blows once it is aligned and ready to send home.

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
I don't think 250 Degrees will hurt it. I was overhauling my Cummins truck engine in my Moms driveway back in the late 70"s and had the pistons in her oven set at about 250 and the pins in the freezer (They have an interference fit) She came home earlier than I expected and I thought she was going to have the Big One.
Ron