J B Bore Bright

Help Support Ruger Forum:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Anyone use JB BoreBright? I ordered it from Brownells. And Kroil. I also bought Simichrome polish. Absolutely the Best! I used it in the Tool and Die. It makes brass shine.

Srb08

Single-Sixer
I use both Bore Bright and JB bore cleaning compound.
I use the cleaning compound as the last step in the bore cleaning operation.
I always work over any new barrel with Bore Bright, just to smooth out any rough spots.

msinc

Bearcat
I use both. There is no question that JB Bore cleaner is the fastest most effective way to get copper out of a bore. I don't know yet about the Bore Bright stuff. There are many people that will say you don't want the bore "too shiny" or too smooth. I shoot and barrel a lot of rifles and I have a borescope. I cant really see where the Bore Bright stuff hurts anything, and I cant really say that it necessarily helps either. It is such a fine polish that it will not take out tight spots or tooling marks. As others have suggested, too smooth of a bore finish will promote copper fouling, yet I don't find this to be true either. It didn't make or stop any of the rifles I tried it on foul and it didn't alter accuracy in any way either. Because I saw no change, other than the obviously very shiny bore when you hold it up to a light and look thru, I kind of quit using it. It would seem like a very high polish in the bore would make for easier cleaning, but I didn't really find that either.
I have lead lapped a few barrels and used several different grades of lapping compound...while I did get results, I cant see, with my borescope much difference in the finish appearance of the bore surface at all in regards to the grit size used. That is to say that 220 grit lapped in the bore looks very little different than 320 or even 400. Lead lapping will take out tight spots and it will smooth out some light tooling marks, it will also make the bore oversize if you go too far. I doubt you could ever change much with some polish on a patch no matter how much you rubbed on it.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I wanted a can of Kroil. Brownells has a package deal with JB compound. Bore bright was an impulse buy. I'm going to use on 77/50's. My 77 .270 Win shoots so well, dont think I will touch it. I know a man who put a foaming bore cleaner in a M 1 Garand and it would not group tight afterward. I dont know what he used. I was talking to him during Deer season few yrs ago. If a rifle shoots well, dont mess with it.

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
great stuff if you clean your guns and you think they are clean run some J@B threw the bore you will be surprise what comes out on the patch

DGW1949

Hunter
lonewolf5347 said:
great stuff if you clean your guns and you think they are clean run some J@B threw the bore you will be surprise what comes out on the patch

That has been my experience also.
Still though, one has to remember that It's a polish of sorts, which means that it's also an abrasive. Me personally, I only use it 2-3 times a year or every 500 rounds or so.....whichever comes first.

DGW

steamloco76

Single-Sixer
I haven't used Bore Bright, however every new gun I buy gets a good bore cleaning with JB Bore Paste and Kroil. Really smooths things out and gets rid of the factory rough edges making the bore easier to clean.

Kroil by itself is great for cleaning .22LR firearms. Kroil gets under any leading it you leave it sit a few minutes. A must have for anybody who shoots lead bullets.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
Kano Kroil is an absolutely magnificent bore cleaner. Once applied and allowed to soak into the bore deposits for 10 or 15 minutes, then brushed and swabbed, you are left with a bore having a mirror finish. Highly recommended as a bore cleaner........

I learned about Kroil from forum posts.....

Slenk

Single-Sixer
I learned about Kroil from a bench rest shooter friend long ago.
It works.