Old Army nipples

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I picked up a old army and the nipples are a hex nut. They are stainless also. None of my nipple wrenches work. They are a tad too big. I don't have a factory wrench and looks like Brownell's or Midway has any either. Are stainless nipples factory? This is a blued gun made in 79 I believe. Any Ideas?? I might make a nut driver or socket work.
Thank You. Eric

take the cylinder ONLY and go to a shop (store) such as Sears or Harbor Freight, find the hex driver tool that 'fits' the size nipples that are in your cylinder......buy one or two, take it home remove the plastic colored handle, heat the stem, and bend it in an "L" shape and make your own nipple wrench .... 8) :roll: :wink:

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
Mark this day on the calendar, I guessed right. You need a 3/16 nutdriver. I found a small package of Black&Decker nutdriver tips at Walmart for five dollars that included a 3/16.

nvbirdman said:
Mark this day on the calendar, I guessed right. You need a 3/16 nutdriver. I found a small package of Black&Decker nutdriver tips at Walmart for five dollars that included a 3/16.
Thank you. I found a 3/16 socket and I think it will work. Grabs good now to soak the cyl. in Kano for a few days and I'll try to get them loose. This puppy was ridden hard and put away wet. Should clean up nice.
Thanks again. Eric

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
eric conrad said:
nvbirdman said:
Thank you. I found a 3/16 socket and I think it will work. Grabs good now to soak the cyl. in Kano for a few days and I'll try to get them loose. This puppy was ridden hard and put away wet. Should clean up nice.
Thanks again. Eric

I had the same problem with frozen nipples on a BP revolver some years ago. Finally got them out and replaced them with new. Put a little anti-seize on the threads to prevent that problem in the future.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
OK, I have been watching this thread for quite some time, and I just can't stand it anymore! Years ago I was working for DuPont helping start up a new High Density Polyethylene Plant in Matagorda, Texas. A couple of country boys in our lab group went to the storeroom one day looking for fittings. One of them asked the crusty old gal behind the counter, "Do you have stainless steel nipples?" - and he was lucky to escape with his life!

Sorry.

RSIno1

Hunter
I've seen some aftermarket ones for sale on fleabay. I've been thinking of getting an Old Army and it seems none of them come with the original wrench nor are any available anywhere.

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually, original ROA nipple wrenches pop up for sale occasionally. Just recently, there was a batch of several offered all in one lot for sale. I think it was on this Forum!