45 OM flat top creation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twriggen

Single-Sixer
I have a torn down early 44 flat top that I would like to build a 45 Colt from. My thought was to find a 45 colt barrel and cylinder off a three screw to use. Is this an easy swap out as in a match to the threads, etc? Am I dreaming about finding a barrel and cylinder given the scarcity of these units?

Thanks

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Not a dream at all, can't think of an easier project. Old or new model barrels and cylinders will both work.

The cylinder new or old is a drop in. If you don't have to have recessed chambers, new cylinders will work just fine, a lot easier to find and cheaper as well.

What barrel length do you want? There's a couple for sale now in this forum's classifieds. Early new model barrels will not have the safety warning on them. Or if you plan to reblue anyway, the warning on later barrels can be polished off. The most work might be adjusting the bar/cyl gap and getting the barrel to tighten with front sight straight up. I have had some barrels that did. If not the barrel shoulder will need to be turned back a bit on a lathe.

I have a short 4 5/8" barrel new model with warning and new model cyl with a few marks that you may want to re-blue. But you can find them that do not need re-bluing.

twriggen

Single-Sixer
I forgot to hit subscribe to the post and didn't see the responses. I was able to find a barrel and a OM cylinder all from one seller. The barrel is a 7.5 so I'll have to have it cut down. The one I have has been updated so now I'll have to find the old parts.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Since you're looking for original action parts, you might consider a Super Blackhawk set if you like the wide hammer and/or wide trigger They will work just as well in your flat top. If you switch to wide trigger, of course you'll need to widen the slot in the trigger guard, which is not hard because it's aluminum.

Or you can switch to an steel NM XR3-RED size grip frame which already has the wide slot and 1/8" more knuckle room behind the trigger guard for those 45 'T-Rex' loads! If interested in that, let me know for pointers on adapting it to the old model, pretty simple.

The only original parts you really need are the cyl latch and hammer. The cyl pin you have will work. The trigger just needs the transfer bar lever cut off and the bump behind the trigger filed flat for it to work.

Old Model flat top converted to 44 Spl, SBH wide trigger, and stainless new model XR3-RED size stainless grip frame:
orig.jpg

Old Model 357, SBH hammer, SBH wide trigger, and stainless new model XR3-RED size stainless grip frame:
orig.jpg