77/44 triggers-need to lighten??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

langenc

Single-Sixer
How heavy are 77/44 triggers these days?

Is it a big deal to stone or should one just do a Timney and get it over with??

I've never tested the pull weight on my 77/44 and I've hunted with it successfully for 12 years (or more, I forget) and haven't felt that I needed to do anything to it. JMO, but 1 1/2 to 2 lbs is pretty light for that type of a hunting gun.

langenc

Single-Sixer
That is light but Ive been shooting 22 BR w/ 1-2 OUNCE triggers and got spoiled.

Anyone use the Volquartsen sear kit?? and how did it work. I know they(Volquartsen) are highly rated by the Ruger Mark II pistol shooters.

Volquartsens are 2/3 the price of the Timneys and asked Timney if theyd match the other price. I have Timney on 3 of my other rifles and they are fine.

Personally I've never had any problem with any of the Volquartsen products. Unless Timney would match the price, I'd go with the Volquartsen.

Shooting bench rest is quite a bit different than going out into the woods to go hunting, but I'm sure you realize that. I had a Savage 12FP in .204 Ruger that I used for varmint hunting and I set the Accu-Trigger for 1 1/2 lbs, but I was either shooting off a bench or prone, not walking around in the woods or climbing and sitting in a tree stand.

For most hunting I would go with a 3-4 lb trigger pull for safety. Others may say you could go lighter, and that is their opinion and is fine by me, but 3-4 is where I feel comfortable.

RoninPA said:
Personally I've never had any problem with any of the Volquartsen products. Unless Timney would match the price, I'd go with the Volquartsen.

Shooting bench rest is quite a bit different than going out into the woods to go hunting, but I'm sure you realize that. I had a Savage 12FP in .204 Ruger that I used for varmint hunting and I set the Accu-Trigger for 1 1/2 lbs, but I was either shooting off a bench or prone, not walking around in the woods or climbing and sitting in a tree stand.

For most hunting I would go with a 3-4 lb trigger pull for safety. Others may say you could go lighter, and that is their opinion and is fine by me, but 3-4 is where I feel comfortable.
Ditto! Where I hunt there is a lot of leaves and rock. Slipping and falling a real possibility. I don't need an accidental discharge.
gramps